Used 2008 Nissan Sentra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 170 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Nissan Sentra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

So Far So Good
By PHauth

2008 Nissan Sentra Sedan 2.0 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought a 2008 Nissan Sentra after owning a pickup for years. I live in Northern Montana and thus far I have been happy with the handling on snow and ice. Unfortunately, Nissan does not offer a block heater for the 2008 model. Instead they offer an oil pan heater, which does OK. I recently started the car in -30 weather and had no problems. The interior is comfortable and roomy for a sedan. I stand 6'4 and have no problems with head or leg room. My biggest problem thus far has been with the fuel efficiency. To date I have only averaged around 23MPG when I was promised upwards of 30MPG. Overall, a good vehicle for the money.

Trunk space, handling, exterior design

Equip with an engine block heater.

All around great car
By PHA

2008 Nissan Sentra Sedan 2.0 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

After trying all the competitors, I bought this car for 2 main reasons. 1, the ride is better than with any other car its size. When I have passengers for the first time, that is what they usually comment on. It rides like a larger car. 2, it offered more features for the money. When accelerating, I try to keep my RPMs below 3,000. My average MPG is 32 in the summer, 31 in the winter. I've gotten as high as 36 on the freeway with cruise. How a person drives makes a big difference on MPG. The CVT is smooth, but not that fast on takeoff. If you want speed, buy a sports car. The stereo sounds great. The car is very comfortable and roomy. I really felt I got the most for my money.

The ride, MPG, trip computer, keyless entry, roomy cabin and trunk, stereo speakers, solid feel, steering wheel controls.

None really. Any features I would want would be available in more pricey models.

Nissan good or bad ?
By Sentra owner

2008 Nissan Sentra Sedan 2.0 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I've had my Sentra for 16 mos. and I am not happy at all. The engine is NOT quiet. I was back at the dealer after one month. A noise came out from the engine like a valve opening and closing under pressure, very loud. They (dealer service) said that is not a problem until the check engine light from board is on!! Still I have that noise. And is a very lazy car for 2.0l engine. Inside is poor quality, immediately scratched up from just the belt. I'm very disappointed with my Sentra. Also I own a Nissan Quest and this one is very smooth and quiet car.(even if I had some problem like water inside the trunk... and shaking doors, dead battery after 3 mos). Think twice before you buy!

exterior design

Keyless entry. Needs to be better noise insulation between the cabin and undercarriage and or more work on the engine being noiseless

Watch your Nissan Sentra
By Ruscle

2008 Nissan Sentra Sedan 2.0 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

We have had our Sentra for about 2 years Can't keep tires on the back of it It wears out a set every 20000 miles Put a new set on at 36000miles and it messed them up in less than 6000 miles Took it to the dealer and they said the rear end was out of alignment but there was nothing they could do about it Called Nissan and they said there was not a problem with the car There is information all over the internet telling about the problem and how to fix it but Nissan keeps saying there is not a problem and to just change my tires every 6000 miles Would not own another Nissan ever!!!

Fix your cars

Just "OK"
By Jeffrey

2008 Nissan Sentra Sedan 2.0 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I've had my Sentra for 18 mos. and have come to the conclusion that it is just "OK". I have 25,000 miles on it and it has been reliable-no mechanical problems. That said, having been a Honda owner previously (Civics and Accords), I wish now that I had stuck with Honda for two reasons: comfort and fuel economy. I drive 120 miles daily on straight, flat, highways and the best I have ever gotten was 32 MPG. I did better than that with my Accord which was bigger and more powerful, and far better than that with my Civic. Regarding comfort, the absence of telescopic steering means having to drive with outstretched arms, which is uncomfortable and annoying. Also, road noise is a bit loud.

Sticker price, reliability, CVT,

Telescopic steering! Also, there needs to be better noise insulation between the cabin and the trunk. I get too much road noise emanating from the trunk.