Used 2003 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews - 206 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Nissan Sentra

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Practical and fun.
By Dave

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I bought a used 2003 Spec V in April 2005. The car has 60,000km on it. I researched many cars and tried to decide which one was best for my situation. As a recent grad with a new condo, the Spec V was the best bang for the buck. Low profile tires make noise on bumpy roads. Handling is very good, low body roll. 4 doors make it practical. I looked at the 1.7 Acura EL and was turned off when I had 4 passengers, the car bottomed out whereas the Spec V does not with 4 passengers. Gas mileage not as good as anticipated but it could be the way I drive. Stereo sounds good. The brakes are good. Torque-steer not an issue unless you're driving too hard. I would reccommend this car to anyone.

Powerful engine, solid braking, stiff suspension, stereo, 17 inch wheels, the 6th gear, styling as opposed to the 2004 and 2005 models, interior design. Variable valve timing.

The reverse gear gate. Going from 4th to 5th can sometimes push you towards revers. Thin paint on moldings but paint is fine everywhere else. Some starting issues. Better gas mileage but could be my own fault.

Sentra quality down
By Michael

2003 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This engine was leaking antifreeze in the engine. We needed a new headgasket.It was covered under warranty but we had to fight to get the Nissan dealer to fix it. The engine has suffered damage from the coolant leak. It takes longer than usual to start. Also during an oil change, the dealer tech noticed we were losing alot of oil through the crankshaft oil seal. also replaced during warranty. This with a car with only 18k miles at the time. I would avoid this car with the 1.8 L engine. I've talked with others who own this car/engine. they had the same problems! Sentras are made in Mexico. buyer beware.

gas mileage

Build the car right the first time! build quality has gone down with the new sentras. Nissan dealers who avoid repairing vehicles under warranty.

I LOVE MY SPEC VIZZLE!!!!!
By Andre S

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

It took me about two years of shopping before I bought my Spec. I looked at every car in its class, and the only one that stood above all others was the Spec V. It just felt more natural, the acceleration, braking, comfort, control, stability, style, and handling where just better then the rest.

The thing that I love the most about my car is when you get on it, you hear it. You hit about five thousand RPM, and it has the best sounding intake note I have ever heard. It just screams BRING IT ON!!!.

The only thing that I would like to see on future Nissans, I wanna see a turbocharged model of my engine (QR25DET). Someone must have been listening to me when I said that because I just found out that Nissan is in the process of bringing it out. "The Nissan Azeal", check it out, its not hard to find

Mixed reviews
By Harley

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Had the car for 1 month catalyst backed up into engine. Nissan replaced engine. Torque steer very pronounced, makes handling a 2 hand job. The car is fast and handles nice, but needs some refinement.

nice torque and HP. Looks nice.

The trans blows! Don't like the shifting feel. Reverse very hard to find. Be careful shifting, 5 & 6 gears hard to find.Hate the torque steer, car needs a more steady feel.

Good
By Michael Flatto

2003 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

During winter, the heat takes a long
time to warm up. It takes a while to
accelerate onto freeways. Otherwise,