Used 2002 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews - 242 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Nissan Sentra

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Love it
By maci805

2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2002 Sentra GXE 6 years ago. It has been great to me so far. I have had nothing go wrong with it and has been extremely reliable. The car saved my life when I was in an accident. I came out alive and in one piece-which meant that the Sentra did its job. It is far from a luxury vehicle, but it is very comfortable and fun to drive. I love my car and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a safe and reliable vehicle.

Not Reliable
By Not Reliable

2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Only 85k miles. Sentra has mechanical problems. Recent dealer service quote: “will need to replace head gasket, valve cover seal, front crank seal, exhaust manifold gasket, and the intake gasket and all spark plugs. Drive belts are heavily cracked. Timing chain stretched needs tensioner and guides.” Past issues: Oil dip stick broke resulting in removal of oil pan with NTB and dealer service pointing fingers. Brake calipers malfunctioning causing abnormal pad wear and short rotor life on left front. After +$2,000 in repairs, the Sentra just is not worth it. Have owned a Geo Storm, Honda Accord, Chevy Blazer, Ford Mustang, and Jeep Cherokee. All lasted +130k miles.

None. Lack of quality makes competitors more appealing.

Drive train quality.

Fun and reliable
By Dave

2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 02 Sentra with 25 miles on it. I now has 140,000 and has only seen the shop for tires, brakes, and oil. It gets wonderful gas mileage with the 1.8 L 4 cyl but the car is light weight enough that it is peppy and fun. The only downsides are the seats are not that comfortable for long rides and it could definitely be quieter at highway speeds.

7 speaker stereo, quick, reliable and great gas mileage.

Lots of road and wind noise at higher speeds. Seats are not that comfortable for long trips.

the sentra that could.
By joe

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased this sentra se-r spec v thinking it was going to last forever! boy was i wrong, not only have i put a new tranny, but also a new motor,abs wheel sensor, cruise control ecu, and i am on my third catalitic converter! yea i said three! but now after all that i am afraid to open it up on the highway or eneywhere! I thouth spec v ment sport but mybe not! so now i have to baby it cause if i dont the catalitic converter might overheat and the insides might blow out again! posibly causing the motor to blow,like before, by the way did i metion this spec v is mostly built in MEXICO,just read the original window sticker that should explain everything! so buyers beware and good luck!!!!

I like the red lava interior, and mini skyline style front facia, that its a six speed, and the limited-slip diff.

make it in japan like every other real foriegn car out there then it might not have all these issues with the mechanics of the car!!!!!!! and it might last 100,000 without a tune up!!!

A Nice Little Package
By SHIFT_COOL

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought this car last month and I am actually shocked how much I like this car. It wasn't my first choice but ended up with it because of price. Well I consider myself lucky because this car is a blast to drive. It's like driving a go cart as it hugs the turns very nicely. With this very taught suspension you do sacrifice a smooth ride. It does not handle the bumps very well at all but you won't be too disappointed when you see how this baby handles. It has plenty of trunk space for me and my buddies' golf clubs. It gets around town with decent gas mileage and highway miles aren't bad either (23/27). It has wonderful get up and go and you will love zipping around the traffic.

The wonderful handling and 2.5 liter engine dropped in this little pocket rocket.

Could tighten up some of the squeaks and rattles.