Used 2002 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews - 242 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Nissan Sentra

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Major Issues After 60k - Lemon
By AtlGirl3929

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a Nissan thinking the brand was on par with Honda and Toyota...boy, was I wrong. I have never had as many problems with an automobile as I have with this car. When it was still under warranty, I had minor issues. Past 65k...I've had the A/C break twice, normal issues, but the best are the well documented problems with the catalytic converter, pre-cat, and 'recall' Nissan claims they performed on the 02 2.5L engines of this model. Bottom line: Nissan lies, the pre-cat never gets fixed, will fall apart, get sucked into your engine in small bits, mingle with your oil, and slowly eat your engine from the inside out. STAY AWAY!!

Can be fun to drive, great pickup, turn radius, etc.

Uh. How about Nissan not knowingly selling the consumer a vehicle with $2k a year + problems after 60k miles?

Love My Car!
By LuvMySE-R

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my SE-R brand-new from the dealer in 2002. I just rolled 50,000 miles on the odometer this morning on my way to work. I have had NO major problems with the car at all. It handles well and still has most of its zip after six and a half years. Most of my 50,000 miles have been city miles, going to and from work, shopping, etc. But I do take it on the highway several times a week and the little thing still has enough power to run with the big boys. The only issues so far have been minor/routine/cosmetic and I have not had to dump any extra money into it at all. We'll see what happens now that the extended warranty is up!

Looks great. Runs great. Good power, fun to drive, decent mileage (~26 mpg), very affordable. Has been a very reliable automobile. I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off!

Speaking of wheels... The tires are very expensive to replace. Expect to spend $150 to $200 per tire for new Firehawks. Also, the backseat is pretty cramped for adults. Other than that... I have no complaints! I love my car!

Good Car
By KRomine

2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car when I was in college because it was fairly inexpensive, and I thought it would be reliable. The car now has nearly 120,000 miles on it and still performs well. The gas mileage is goood, not great - I average around 30-33 depending on the season. The car has had very little maintenance problems. Early on, it had to be in the shop a few times for recalls, but other than replacing brake pads and tires, it has been really cheap to maintain. Performance is what one would expect from a small 4-Cyl. - it does just enough to not get run over by bigger cars. It does suffer from windy days, and it could be bigger, but really, it is a pretty good car.

Very reliable, decent gas mileage

Larger engine (2.0 in newer models), a bit more weight so it does not get thrown around by the wind, larger wheels - mine only has 14" wheels. It does not have cruise control - make it standard on trims above the base level!

SE-R Spec V < the sum of it's parts
139,055 of 139,057 people found this review helpful
By Brandon Apmann

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased this car spanking new and enjoyed its strong engine with gobs of torque (for 2.5 liters), loved the limited slip differential, lots of grip from the tires and suspension. I was excited to finally own a new car I could pamper and keep minty fresh. Well, the honeymoon didn't last very long. From day one, literally, I kept fresh (every 3,000 miles) Mobil 1 oil in it, but despite my efforts, the car burnt more oil than any car I've ever owned, 2quarts every oil change. Also at about 30k to 40K the car lost a lot of power, started blowing black smoke which made it impossible to keep the bumper clean. Also, the clear coat started to peel @ 50K, making the car quite ugly.

The strong engine (for the first 30k) and LSD. The car had lots of nice options, which was nice, however, I would've appreciated a "reliable engine" option or maybe a "paint stays on the car" option. That would be nice, although those things should be included at no cost. I did like the interior tho.

Better paint, an engine that doesn't burn oil, better customer service from Nissan for those of us who paid for a bad product. I will not purchase another product from Nissan, new or used. This car was a disappointment.

Problem-free
By BWheel

2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Owned this vehicle (GXE w/ cruise control package) from 2001-2008 and through 180K miles only recently showed problems (oil leakage). Prior to that, only repairs needed were for leaking AC (2 times), blocked radiator and oil leak. None of these occurred within the first 100K miles. Car provided 30 mpg this year. For the price, great car.

Decent acceleration on GXE.

None