Used 2001 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews - 119 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Nissan Sentra

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Great small car
By Dreama

2001 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car new with about 12 miles on it and now 5+ years later it has 44,000+ on it. I really love it. It's fun to drive this 5 speed. I have a lead foot. Great gas mileage. My son and I fight over who gets to drive it. I have replaced the rear brakes, including the calipers. I haven't had any problems. Recently an exhaust issue, the replacement OEM will be 595.70 for the muffler. WOW that is expensive. I haven't found it less expensive yet. I'll keep looking on the web for a better deal.

The stereo system is pretty good for the price of the vehicle. I love the sun roof. I like the body style and with the black body and silver wheels it looks really nice as it drives away. I realy like this car. I'm hoping to keep it for another 60,000 miles. It's paid for now. Sweet!!!

At 5'1" more space between me and the steering wheel. I can't move the seat back because the clutch has to be fully depressed to change the gears. The Firestone tires are the worst ever. I have purchased 3 sets. Even new they are not good and terrible in the snow. The paint is dull even after wax.

By Frank

2001 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Since I have owned the car, I have had about 4 factory recalls and recently, with less than 33,000 miles, the transmission had to be replaced. I would not recommend a Sentra, nor would I by another.

Good car - only minor problems
By schwnj

2001 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've been driving my black Sentra SE since it was new, and have just over 50,000 on it now. Like many of the other reviewers, I've had to replace my brakes and tires. I've had two window regulators go out on me (both under warranty), and my sun visor mirror covers cracked off long ago. The paint on the bumper and mirrors is starting to fade after five years in the 110-degree Phoenix sun (but I wax it regularly to keep fading to a minimum). But all of those things are minor. The car has always started, it performs like it did in 2001, it handles well, the engine is built like a tank and all electrical and mechanical systems are fully working. Treat this car well and it will treat you well.

Good quality engine, fun to drive.

Build quality could improve.

Sentras - See for Yourself
By Mama L

2001 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2001 GXE Sentra in 2001 and paid it off last year (a little early). There was one recall issue that caused the car to die, but it was fixed under warranty. It's not the quickest thing on the takeoff, but does fine on the highway and has a heavy, secure feel -- to me. I had a Corolla before that and its steering touch was so light you could run off the road in the blink of an eye. It's not the most fuel efficient car on the road, but it's also one of the cheaper.

I like the look of it. It still looks dignified even after 5 years. I hear it's going to be redesigned in fall 2006. I drive a stick so that's important to me that it works well and so far, no complaints.

Better fuel economy. Put a handle or something to grab onto to close the door. When it's open I can't reach the handle and the door is so heavy I have to grab the side door storage compartments to close it.

The Best Rice Burner
By sentrarob

2001 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Great gas mileage, smooth ride, very peppy 1.8L motoe