Used 1996 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Nissan Sentra

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

She's a trusted friend!
By cathionwhidbey

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

I have had my Sentra for 10 years and couldn't ask for a better car. In those 19 years we have replaced the normal stuff, brakes, tires, and the alternator twice. She had over 140,000 miles on her and I still get 32-33 miles per gallon. I bought a Hyundai Sonata 2 years ago and was only getting 22 miles to the gallon. The luxury was great but with the rise in gas I am back to my Sentra. I spiffed her out with bright red flames and she is feeling young again!! I can pay a lot more but couldn't ask for a car that has been more reliable and cost efficient.

GAS MILEAGE!!

Same as everyone else. Cup holder interferes with stereo.

Great car
By wd

1996 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

This is a reliable vehicle that gets good mileage (33 mpg highway). It's dependable and also handles well. Overdrive provides decent acceleration for its size. It's a good commuter vehicle.

Mileage, handling.

Side impact safety.

Very cheap to drive
By keith

1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

When I first got my license I bought this car with around 175k miles on it. The car is a great commuter and definitely cheap to own and drive. I get around 31 MPG in the city and 41 MPG when traveling, so trips are no longer going to eat your banking account. I carpooled with 3 other people to Chicago, 5 hours away, and paid about 12 dollars for a 2-way trip.

Roomy for a small car (I'm 6'1 and no complaints or my 6'3 brother), fairly fun for a 115 hp car, reliable (only needed 2 oil changes in 5k miles).

Outer styling.

Old reliable
By Chris

1996 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new, and as of 2007 it's still going. I got it when money was tight, and have never regretted it. It's not fast, but it can be fun to drive. At 183,000 miles, it's not perfect. I replaced the ECU (computer) early on, and it's needed 2 alternators for some reason. I got a clutch at 150,000. I replaced the shocks around 120,000. Other than that it's just oil changes and brake pads. The seats are worn, the body's dinged, the paint's worn off the wipers and a few other spots, the rear defrost turns itself off, the headlight lenses are dim, the radio display is spotty, and the buttons are sticky from the poorly-placed cup holder, but it starts every morning and off we go!

Mileage, reliability.

Tachometer, voltage gauge, floor mats.

Rusty but trusty
By D-murray

1996 Nissan Sentra GLE 4dr Sedan

I stopped taking care of this car about two years ago and can't kill it. It has <150K miles on it. Rust started as a couple small bubbles in paint and EXPLODED over the last 18months. Only thing I ever did to this thing in over five years and 70k miles is replace spark plug wires, and of course brakes and tires.

Good cheap transportation