Used 1994 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1994 Nissan Sentra

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

40 mpg is Fun!
By Traveler

1994 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan

My 1994 GXE Sentra is the most reliable car I've ever owned! It now has 85,000 miles, and only the alternator, and starter have been replaced, aside from the usual, tires, batteries, and brakes (it eats front disk pads). I have the smaller 1.6 liter, which is adequate, but the 2.0 would have been better in my Rocky Mountain area. 32City/41Hwy without a/c at 65. With a/c about 38mpg highway. Paint still looks great after 12 years. Transmission is smooth. Tip: keep auto in "Drive" for city use (off freeways) for better acceleration, and engine braking if you live in hilly areas. Back seat in/out is very poor, but comfort is OK considering it's a Sentra. My next car will be a newer Sentra!

Spunky, fuel efficient engine Nice appearance. A/C cools the interior in about 2 minutes! Reliable except for brakes, and electrical components. "American made" in Tennessee. Fun to drive...like a go-kart around mountain hairpins! If you live in, or west of the Rockies, get bigger engines!

More power. More rear seat room, and better in/out. Improve factory original alternator, starters. Both failed under 70,000 miles!

looks like a paper boat, but runs great!
By Andrew

1994 Nissan Sentra Limited 4dr Sedan (1994.5)

I bought my 94 Sentra with 119,000 miles as a get-to-work car, and have had problems only with wearable items. The clutch was replaced at 125,000 miles, brakes cleaned and one slow leak in a tire but other than that no problems. Put some work into it to get better perfomance, but it only does so much for the little engine. Gas mileage is excellent. I get roughly 40 MPG in 5th. Handles good in the snow. I drive this car without mercy, it hasn't faltered yet. I've put over 17,000 miles on it in six months and it holds up good. Oil changes are very easy, many original parts still under the hood holding up great. Basic maintenance is all i need, i.e. oil change, coolant, etc. Awesome little car!

Manual transmission uses well chosen gear ratios. The driver's seat is very comfortable, the cup holders are in perfect reach. The cruise control is definitely the favorite feature.

Side mirrors could be a little bit larger, and the manual shifter could be smoother. The exterior design could be a little less boxy.

1994 1/2 Nissan Sentra-LE
By Gerry Walter

1994 Nissan Sentra Limited 4dr Sedan (1994.5)

I have enjoyed my Nissan Sentra LS so much that for the first time in my life I have kept the same car for 11 years. It is fun to drive, comfortable, and has a very small turning radius. The brakes had to be replaced sooner than I anticipated, but overall I had few problems mechanically. The refrigeration and heating systems are still topnotch.

Power windows and door locks including childproof locks on both. Guage positioning. Overall look of the car.

If it hasn't been improved, the body integrity of small items such as rolled door insulating foam strips coming loose. Brakes.

10 year max life
By Kay

1994 Nissan Sentra Limited 4dr Sedan (1994.5)

After my car was almost 10 years old, the paint began to peel and my visor had a worn spot. I was very attached to my car, but no more! The last 4 months have cost me about $300 each month! That is a car payment. I keep thinking "after this is fixed, I have another year" but that is WRONG! I am heartbroken after the care and maintenance I paid for!

I love the seat's lower lumbar support. I have yet to sit in a more perfect and comfortable seat...and I've been in a lot of cars!

The cup holders are in a horrible place. The only other external feature is the paint having a 10 year life. The parts have just worn out!

Wonderful, reliable car
By Linda

1994 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1994 Nissan Sentra in 1998 with 69,000 miles on it. It now has over 145,000 miles. I rarely ever have to do any maintenance on it, other than the regular oil changes, etc. I've had to replace the battery (after owning it for 5 years), and I did have to replace the CV joints, but other than that, I just put gas in it and it goes and goes. Also...about the gas mileage...I get 32 miles to the gallon. I think that's pretty good! I have thought about selling it for a newer car (mine does not have PW or PL), but I'm afraid that I could never find something as reliable as this one has been for me.

Reliability, economy, small size (I agree with one of the previous reviews...I can park in tight spaces and cut people off, if need be). :)

Maybe a larger back seat. I'm lucky I get to sit in the driver's seat, because at 5'9, I don't fit in the back seat too comfortably, especially with a tall driver in front of me. A center console or arm rest would be nice as well.