Used 2014 Nissan Rogue Consumer Reviews - 54 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2014 Nissan Rogue

View reviews for a specific Rogue model:

Here Come the Recalls!
By Shad

2014 Nissan Rogue SV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This CUV suffers from poor construction, a horrid CVT, and terrible dealer support. It ended up being a rattle trap after the first 3 months. The whole car sounded like it was coming apart. The dash rattled, power seats squealed, and the speakers vibrated at low volume. Just all around poor build quality. I took it in to my local dealer because the passenger occupancy sensor would intermittently turn the air bags off when I have a passenger in the front seat. The service technician at the dealership was unable to reproduce the problem, this was back in 2014. To my amazement I received a recall last month addressing this very issue, and there's another open recall for the fuel pump! I'm sure there will be more recalls to come. The climate controls were impossible to adjust. They were either on full heat or cold; no in between. The CVT destroys any illusion of power. I guess the last straw was the incompetent technicians and rude service manager at my local dealership. I'm so happy I traded it in! I went back to Toyota and I will NEVER consider another Nissan.

please say no to nissan CVT.
By rajib

2014 Nissan Rogue SL 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

before you buy please test drive at at 30 to 40 speed in low RPM. if you geel the viabration just don't buy. please listen to me you won't regret. it has cvt shifting problem and viabration. went to dealer and they couldn't help me to fix this issue. according to them nissan made it like that for better fuel economy.
i had 2012 rogue and wanted to give nissan a second chance and bought 2014 rogue sl awd. total waste of money. driving this with frustration and irs so annoying.
again please don't go by the looks and don't buy it. nissan should stop making cvt.

Love this suv!
By Shawn Sullivan

2014 Nissan Rogue SV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Just bought used 2014 Rogue SV. I probably should have done more research, cause I see quite a few complaints about the A.C., and sluggish CVT tranny. I previously owned a Murano with the CVT trans, so I am used to it, and really prefer it now. I don't think it's sluggish at all for a 4 cylinder. It is adequate, and compared to the Ford Escape, and Toyota Rav 4, I felt the ride was so much better. The rogue does wine with the throttle wide open going uphill, just like most 4 cylinders in it's class. I really love it so far. I think it's the best in it's class for the money, although I've read good things about the Mazda c.x. 5, I didn't, test drive one. Hope I don't regret this purchase!

Be Very Careful If You're Considering This Vehicle
By Jim

2014 Nissan Rogue SV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My Rogue is a 2014 SL AWD. There are some things to like; good gas mileage (especially highway), decent acceleration, good handling in snow, comfortable front seats, great sound system in the SL model, pretty good cargo capacity, okay visibility. But from nearly day one I have had a serious issues with it, and as time goes on I realize that there are also many annoying features that I was not able to identify in the test drive. The worst problems I have had are with the "infotainment" system. The voice recognition is poor (I do not have a heavy accent or speech problem). I have never been able to get the Nissan Connect app connected with my (new model) phone, and neither can the dealer or Nissan Corp. The Sirius radio cuts out when I drive by a tall tree and goes out completely for about 20 seconds several times an hour. It also periodically stops to "reload". I've had Sirius radios in my cars before, and this is by far the least reliable. The navigation is poor at best. Often when I enter (using voice recognition) what I know is a valid address, it comes back with some location in another state 3,000 miles away that doesn't even sound like the correct location. Sometimes it gives a trip time and distance that assumes I can drive directly to the destination even though there's a river between me and the destination, overlooking the time and distance required to go the nearest bridge first. It fails about 40% of the time to locate "Points of Interest" (again using voice recognition), including (no kidding) international airports in my state. I started trying to get these and other issues resolved with the dealer the first week I owned it. I found that except for one guy ("our expert") who worked at one of their remote locations, nobody there understood the systems. I met with the expert, who tried reloading the software several times with no success. They promised to discuss with Nissan, and no solutions resulted. I contacted Nissan and opened a "case". After numerous dealer visits and even more phone discussions with them, Nissan offered me one free month car payment for my trouble, but no fixes. I declined. They said they are working on the problems, but could not say when they would have them resolved. It's now 15 months since I picked up the vehicle and they have not been able to do a thing to help me. I drive a lot (currently at 30k miles), and I have owned many similar vehicles. I can say that for me, the Rogue was one of my worst picks. It also has many lesser annoyances including; 1) the CVT can't find the right gearing when accelerating uphill, usually running the RPMs up to almost 4000 before I give up and take my foot off the pedal, 2) many of the systems are set up to prevent the driver (or passenger) from using them while the vehicle is in gear, 3) the front wiper arms collide with and scratch the hood if you try to lift them out to clean the windshield, and the rear wiper likewise does not lift away from the glass, 4) when the vehicle is wet there's a loud whistle coming (I think) from the roof rack, 5) my front rotors warped at 22k, not covered of course, 6) within 1 year, the leather driver's seat began to show signs of checking and wrinkling, like a much older vehicle, 7) if you drop something between the center console and the seat, kiss it goodbye, 8) the Nissan navigation system does not provide traffic, you have to contract with Sirius for traffic, 9) the rear camera has poor resolution, 10) at about 28k it became obvious I would need tires soon, although I rotated them regularly. I will not buy tires, nor will I spend any more time or effort on this disappointment. It's getting traded next week. And not on another Nissan, ever.
UPDATE 2/13/17
So, a lot has changed...after writing the original review I did not trade the Rogue as I intended, I actually took it on a 23,000 mile cross-country trip. And along the way, I made my peace with the vehicle. There isn't enough space allowed here to tell the whole story, and I still disliked the CVT, the wipers, tire and brake wear, and some other features, but I stopped hating the vehicle. Ultimately when the Rogue was about 21/2 years old, I was rear-ended by another SUV while I was stopped. My vehicle was pushed into a pickup in front of me, causing both the front end and rear end to be demolished. And I walked away. I test drove everything in the class and as crazy as it sounds, I replaced the Rogue with a new 2016 Rogue SL. And with the addition of blind spot monitoring, collision warning, moon roof, sport and eco modes and a much better operating CVT, I truly like my new Rogue. I'm glad Edmonds asked me update the review. The details below pertain to the new 2016 vehicle.

one problem after another
By ibali

2014 Nissan Rogue SL 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Leased in Jan 2014

Problems:

Day 2: headlights needed to be adjusted, blinding on coming drivers.

Week 2: back windshield replaced; major leak

Month 2: GPS/radio system changed

Month 6: Air bag light went on for the day; eventually fixed itself

Month 6: All air system blocked; fan working but NO air coming out; fixed itself after 3 hours in temps > 90 degrees!

Month 12: Shifter assembly broken

Month 15: seat assembly broken (drivers side)

Month 16: CVT transmission grinding; replaced whole transmission

Now: have no choice but to get extended warranty as approaching 40,000 miles!

Reminds me of my old Kia, actually might be worse!

Very comfortable, plenty of interior space.

Quality is [non-permissible content removed] poor. If I wanted an American car, I would have leased one! Compared to my Toyota and Suzuki, this car is BAD!