Used 2012 Nissan Quest Minivan Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Nissan Quest Minivan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Quest model:

Tranny troubles
By SadVanMan

2012 Nissan Quest Minivan SV 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

We enjoyed our Quest for the first five years. The van had a smooth ride. I liked the interior layout with the folding seats and no need to remove large middle-row seats. We could haul large objects without having to remove clunky middle row seats, and we thought we were getting a better quality van than a Chrysler product. With the back two rows of seats folded flat, we had a bedding area for long trips to Florida. The hidden trunk in the back provided nice storage. We were making some nice memories with our van. In the first year or two we started to worry a little when our van would stall on downhill angles with 1/4 tank of gas or less. A technical service bulletin software update fixed that problem with no cost. Routine maintenance generally kept our van rolling along. Second set of tires at just over 40,000miles and that set lasted nearly 60,000 miles. Brakes replaced at about 88,000 miles. Only unexpected repair had been a rear A/C line at 80,000 miles. Well, things began going bad in the last few months. The van began lurching or having RPM surges while driving at speed--especially with cruise set while going up a small grade or hill. Was that the transmission slipping? The problem happened rarely enough that our local Nissan dealer could not replicate it during a test drive. Then after the 105,000 mile service the transmission problems worsened. On a long trip we had lots of cruising on the freeway. The tachometer would bounce while maintaining speed. If we encountered a hill the RPMs might bounce from 2000 up to 2400 with no gain in speed. The bounce lasted a second or two and it occurred on minor inclines. Local driving too and from work seemed fine, but then a short trip to family was the last straw. A couple times on this trip shifting from reverse to drive produced a clunking sound with marginal acceleration. (That can't be good.) We had two or three episodes in which the van took a long time to move from a stop on an uphill grade. (That experience seemed marginally dangerous.) Then the check engine light confirmed our fears. We nursed it back to our dealer. The tranny was dead. We are now two weeks into waiting for a replacement. Five years with the van was fine, but then we learned the error of our ways in purchasing the Nissan Quest with the CVT. Our dealer is still waiting for a replacement transmission while we kick ourselves for not purchasing the Honda, Toyota, or even the Chrysler. While it may not help our efforts to unload this thing in a year or so, buyers should beware of Nissan CVTs...especially in the Quest. A quick contact with corporate produced the expected apology for inconvenience with no real help. Five years old and just over 100,000 miles and the transmission pukes? Please learn from our experience.

Update in 2018: So we had the dealer replace the transmission at 107,800 miles and hoped for the best. After another 5,000 miles or so, my wife began to worry about being stranded if the new transmission puked. I thought that we could just drive it into the ground. After laying out over $3,000 for a replacement transmission, I was not eager to get rid of the vehicle. My opinion began to change when I noticed hesitation shifting from reverse to drive. Initially I thought it was just paranoia because of the first transmission failing. The issue happened a few times, with a hesitation and a lurch. Okay, I am not the guy to leave my wife driving a marginally reliable vehicle (or maybe it gave me an excuse to shop for a replacement). We decided to replace the van, and we sold it with a little over 116,000 miles on it...about 5 months after replacing the transmission. (Sigh) Not a great experience, and I wish that we had purchased a Toyota back in 2012. Live and learn. Nissan, you lost me with this one.

6 year review
By Evgueni Minev

2012 Nissan Quest Minivan LE 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

It is really comfortable and easy to drive car, but up until 80K. After 80 K, nothing but problems. We bought the extended warranty, so the cost is minimal. The van is at the shop frequently. The dealers excuse - you have driven 105K, what do you expect??? Transmission died at 89K. Towed. Solenoid valve at 91K. Replaced. Engine sensor died at 105K. Non stop at the dealership. It has been serviced at the same dealership since purchase. Luckily, we still have a year left on the warranty, we will trade it in as soon as it expires.

I would recommend the Quest
By Mark

2012 Nissan Quest Minivan LE 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I find the Nissan Quest a very capable minivan. I test drove the Honda and Toyota and came running back to the Nissan for three primary reasons: 1) The interior fit and finish and organization was far superior to the other minivans. 2) The interior noise was much less than the competitors, and 3) I liked the way the seats folded and the rear storage area. The Nissan gets a bad rap for the non-traditional storage compartments and seats but I find that on a daily basis the set up is far superior to the alternatives. The rear covered storage compartment allows me to store a stroller, blankets, emergency equipment all while still allowing groceries and other items to be hauled. While the total storage area may be less than the competitors, who the heck is hauling around that much stuff without the kids. I find that laying down the second and third rows provides plenty of space when needed. Also, I average 26-28 MPG when traveling at 55-65 miles per hour in the summer. This is great gas mileage for a minivan. I currently have about 30,000 miles on the van and only one maintenance issues so far (rear shock replaced on warranty). Yes, the OEM tires needed to be replaced at 20,000 miles, but who really cares. Very few OEM tires last that long anyway and it gives the owner the opportunity to put on good tires for the winter. The heated leather seats are wonderful and the automatic doors and reach hatch save the day. The only complaint I would have is that it was hard to find a used one. Overall, I recommend this van without hesitation. I bought the LE version with 12,000 miles for $22,500 in November 2014.

Enjoyed until
By DChief

2012 Nissan Quest Minivan SV 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

We enjoyed overall. But, we were hit 2 weeks after buying and in shop for months. then got regular maintenance. Went though 5 set of tires, most ever on a vehicle. Now at 152,000, the transmission can not be repaired. Have to replace, it'll cost me 3,3000 and AC is not as cool as it used to be. Nissan service has no interest in helping me only stated I need to replace the transmission when I went in for I fluid service. Value is so upside down that trading in is an option. Not happy.

We absolutely LOVED our Nissan Quest, until..
By Rachel B.

2012 Nissan Quest Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

We loved our Nissan Quest, until the warranty ran out. Now, the car we once loved and adored, sits at the Nissan Service center, with $6500 worth of repairs on the CVT transmission and AC unit. We can't afford the repairs, since we still owe $15,000 on the car. Nissan has offered us zero support, despite the wide spread number of documented complaints on 2010-2012 Nissans CVT transmissions, and Nissan Quest A/C units. Additionally, the car has gone through 6 sets of tires, and seems to need breaks every few months. It is VERY costly to own a Nissan Quest. I suggest, if you're in the market for a used mini van, stay away from the Quest, and look at something like a Kia Sedona, which has a stronger warranty.