2017 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Best bang for the buck
By Palmer

2017 Nissan Pathfinder S 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Pathfinders are offered at a deep discount for a reason, which you can read about in professional reviews, but they are an excellent value. Comfortable, drives well, decent fuel economy, and I have not had any issues in 2 years. If you want to save money and get a large SUV that is functional and performs well without trips to the dealer, look no further. If you own it for 3 to 5 years the resale value is not too bad either. Remember you did save a lot off the sticker when you bought it.

Love my new Pathfinder
By Davis

2017 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Had it two weeks and just love how it drives and handles. Quiet inside. Roomy and comfortable. First time owning CVT and I’m so glad I gave it a try. Great acceleration and no jerky shifting. Paint finish is amazing too. Let’s hope the honeymoon continues

2014 S 2 wheel drive Pathfinder
By Roman Longoria

2017 Nissan Pathfinder S 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Overall happy with the vehicle. Had for 3 1/2 years. Ready to trade in for another one. Only slight problem was every time I would back out of my driveway and shift the vehicle from reverse to drive then accelerate I would here a very slight popping sound. Took it into Nissan and they replace something that had to do with the transmission CVT. However, it still made the sound. By the way Nissan has great service. (Ed Hicks in Corpus Christi, TX.)

Cross Country Tow & Mountain Tour Test Scored A+
By Scott

2017 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I've had this vehicle now for 15 months and I have grown to enjoy it more and more as time passes. The latest test was a 4000 mile RT on I-80 towing a loaded 5' X 8' U-Haul trailer in February and a mountain tour in the Rockies. The car did everything well. Mileage on the road is excellent for a 4600 lb. vehicle. It cruises well and the engine is responsive at all speeds, likely because of the continuously variable transmission. The CVT took a while to get used to, it is the first one I have owned but with a strong 3.5 liter V6 engine there really are no drawbacks and the associated fuel economy is a bonus. The car tracks straight on the highway and was virtually unfazed by 40 - 60 mph cross winds even towing the trailer; very stable. And the automatic 4WD coupled is a very secure experience driving over icy patches in a stiff crosswind on the high elevation interstate in SE Wyoming. In light slick snow the traction is very secure; you can see the rear wheels kick in when cornering and not have to worry about fishtailing. Ride is good but not cushy comfortable; there is a firmness to it and you can feel the bumps. The OEM Michelin Latitude tires soften impacts however and they have great traction in wet and snowy conditions. In the mountains I was extremely pleased with the suspension, handling, and steering; no body roll and a firm grip on the road. The CVT was also very satisfying descending steep grades; all you have to do is push a button on the shifter to take it out of overdrive and let the engine do the braking. The SV model comes with cloth seats which were very comfortable on the 8-10 hour drive days. NIssan could do better with the quality of the cloth but the surfaces were soft touch and we didn't want to pay for leather in the SL trim. We have been extremely happy with the cold weather package (front seat heaters and heated steering wheel) - I was shocked that I could buy a heated steering wheel for such a reasonable cost on a lower trim level (although packed with value options). We were attracted to this model first by the spacious middle seat and large doors. The seat is wide to seat three medium sized adults, sits up a bit higher than the front seats and has outstanding legroom like most of the cars from the 50's and early 60's had. The third seat is really for kids or petite adults but when folded down provides a large cargo area which we used on our two week trip. When the third seat is set up my wife likes the size of the reduced cargo area when stowing groceries but some may think it is too small. This model was freshened for 2017 and Nissan seemed to do a good job correcting all the model's driving weaknesses that I have read about. I looked at the 2018's and discovered that there are hardly any changes so all my comments should apply to the current model year. We plan on keeping this vehicle at least seven years as we enjoy driving it, the car is very functional for what an SUV should do, and the first two seat rows are so roomy and comfortable. I wasn't sure I would like it this much when I purchased it.

Great platinum trim level
By Sully

2017 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Bought the wife one and two years later I get the same exact one just a little newer. You do have to adapt to the cvt and understand where and when the "gears" will change in order to continue accelerating through the roads so it doesn't downshift and rev up. The vehicles are great value. The best leg room of any SUV on market and that's a fact for both front and rear seat. Both the 2015 and our 2017 had hood issues. When going over 70-80mph on interstate, the hood would look like it's going to fly up and off so we took them in to be tightened. The 2017 platinum sits a little squatty like and people flash me a lot thinking I have my brights on. The headlights are extremely bright and you can tell when on low beam they're a little high. Feel bad for some oncoming drivers.
City/highway avg 19.5mpg at 14,000 miles.