Used 2008 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Nissan Pathfinder

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Not holding up well
By JR3701

2008 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I should love this car. It's loaded with options and I got a great price on it. The problem is you get what you pay for. The quality just isn't there. The engine is noisy and unrefined. The transmission occasionally shifts slowly or roughly and makes we wonder how many problems it will have down the road. The interior already looks like it's 10 years old. The plastics aren't aging well and the leather is starting to sag. Also, an annoying clicking sound has developed, in addition to all the other interior squeaks and rattles. The ride is a rough and the whole vehicle shakes when going over bumps. To be fair, it is an suv but I previously had a 4runner and it drove a lot better.

Bose stereo is pretty good. Heated seats and heated outside mirrors are great during the winter. Back up camera is exremely useful.

Change the body on frame design. Spend more money on higher quality interior pieces. Buy a 4Runner.

Great power, lots of rattels
By jp

2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE-V8 4dr SUV 4WD (5.6L 8cyl 5A)

Initially, I loved my pathfinder. The v8 was so powerful, the bose sound is amazing and all the gadgets and luxury are great. However, after about 2 weeks, I noticed the rattles and I mean everywhere. When I hit a bump I feel it in the wheel and in the frame. The doors rattle the dash rattles bad! I took it off road and it was like driving a covered wagon. The rattles are so noticeable. I had a 2000 pathfinder with 100k on it and nothing like this. It was solid as a rock. The a patty is a great highway car and great 0-60 speed, which is outstanding. However, i bought an suv to use for off road and mtn sports. It has low clearance with the bumpers and it rattles way too much. It

Great speed and towing. I loved the shiftable transmission. The technology and luxury is great! However, the off road is disappointing. This car is more like a sportscar/crossover versus an suv. You feel bumps on and off road

This car confuses me. It can't decide if its a sports car or an SUV.I love the power but hate the structural problems. For a $40,000 vehicle it should hold up and it does not. The rear seat is too small and the 3rd row is a joke. I traded my patty in for an xterra, no rattle and it can take the bump

Excellent SUV with a few wrinkles
By DocNY

2008 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Having gone from a Ford Explorer LXT to a Mercedes ML280, ML350, and Land Rover LR3, I had my doubts about the Nissan. I can honestly say, the Nissan is built as well if not better than my German and English rides, and has held up admirably to a variety of highway, winter, dirt roads, and trails. Only trouble has been limited to dead battery when the headlight "auto-off" feature stopped on occasion leaving technicians scratching their heads, and a faulty doorlock on passenger door made it impossible to exit vehicle from the back seat. Mild valve noise has appeared at 36K miles but too early to tell if this is meaningful.

All the luxuries of my Mercedes without the outrageous cost. Nice styling in and out, with less in shop time than any of my previous SUV's.

Why put the climate knobs at the audio section, and the audio knobs further from the CD player? It's been a year and still throws me. Tranny occasionally searches, revs, then lurches. Dome lights should eventually turn off with time so rear dome will not discharge battery when car is locked.

Nissan will fix it
By frank

2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle new in July 2009. I was unable to locate a 2009, there were none in all of Las Vegas. The first thing I noticed about the vehicle that was between 42 to 45 miles per hour upon removing my foot from the gas and then reapplying the vehicle bumped forward. It seems that the transmission shifted with a bump. I immediately read these reviews and found that many people experienced the same thing and that Nissan wasn't doing anything about it. I contacted Nissan Corp. and they stated they knew nothing of problem. I scheduled an appointment with my dealership who found prior alert from Nissan and fixed my vehicle with module part. No more bumping.

My favorite feature about this vehicle is the memory seating and mirrors. It used to be so annoying readjusting everything after my wife used vehicle.

Alert others to the fix on shifting woes.

Best SUV I Have Owned
By Brian

2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE-V8 4dr SUV 4WD (5.6L 8cyl 5A)

Fantastic vehicle. Great pickup. Great for towing. Very comfortable and every creature comfort you can imagine. Not one mechanical problem. This is by far the best SUV I have ever owned and will definitely purchase another one.

V8

fuel mileage (but all of them stink)