Used 2006 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews - 151 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Nissan Pathfinder

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

176,000 miles and still going...
By ccmercer

2006 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Pathfinder new in 2006. With two kids and my job, I'm constantly on the road. This SUV has lead up to its name. It's been everywhere. I keep the oil changed regularly, on my 3rd set of tires & brakes. It does a great job. Other than the typical wear issues, the only thing I can complain about is the 93 octane fuel requirement. With gas prices as high as they are, it's not unusual to pay $60+ for a tank of gas. I tried the 87 octane the first year, and I did not like the performance. I went back to 93 octane and haven't changed. I've had nine vehicles in my life, and this is the only car I've driven that has never given me problems. It's a great vehicle.

Heater warms up quick on cold mornings. Kids can adjust temp in the back. It has a VERY large capacity when all the seats are down. Example: I've slid a bedroom door in the back and closed the hatch! The paint is red, and the color is still very bright. The radio and speakers are very good, and the CD player still runs great. I love the rearview mirror auto dim when bright lights get behind me. I never have to adjust the mirror. It will pull a trailer down the highway, a four wheeler out of the swamp, a riding mower out of the shrubs. It will hold four kids and a labrador. Or four kids and two Boykin Spaniels. There are enough outlets for electonics, too. And plenty of cup holders.

Better gas mileage would be my biggest issue. I average 15 mpg in city and 20 mpg on highway. The running boards could be a bit stronger, and the hatch back hydraulics won't hold the door up on cold mornings.

Owned since new
By admiralforever

2006 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my Pathfinder LE since new when I bought it in early 07. I have not had any problems with it. It currently has 52K and change miles on it. I have not had the radiator failure like most people have, the brakes are still good. I did get the TPMS sensors replaced because the dealer broke one but they paid for it. I am glad I have this SUV and the fact that is is a 2006 it has more horsepower and torque than the later models, since Nissan detuned the 4.0l V6 so they can sell the V8. I have driven it cross country four times and it never gave me any problems.

I like the strong engine and the AWD, also the ability to drive in 4x2 if I choose to.

Paint.

major problems!!!!!
By lovebaby24

2006 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my car 3 years and i am still making payments i have replaced the cadillac converters and one co2 sensor which has cost me 2200.00. Now i found out my tranmission is slipping which if you do research on it alot of people
are having the same problem! No recall i guess nissan could care less about you after the sale will never own another one!!!!!!

They need to have a recall!!!!

45,300 miles and going strong
By mgonzalez

2006 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After 6 years of truoble-free service pulling a 21 ft Boston Whaler (occassionally) I recently had the fuel gauge problem. The dealer notified me of the extended warranty for this issue but that it has expired a day earlier! What? I called Nissan Consumer Affairs and after some back and forth with the dealer they approved the repair under warranty. Nissan even will reimburse the $99.00 "diagnosis" fee from the dealer. I was also informed of the extended warranty for the transmission/coolant issue until 6/2014 or 80,000 miles. So far, no problems with that.
The vehicle sits outside all the time in FL. No problems with the exterior or interior. Still have the OEM tires.

Body-on-frame architecture. Most current SUV of this size (including Pathfinder) are going to flimsy uni-body construction.

When your extended tranny warranty expires on your current Pathfinder, or if it has, and you still don't have any problems, get en external tranny cooler and seal the factory system forever. You can get this done for less than $80.00. Check B & M Tranny coolers or Derale Series 8000 Plate Fin cooler.

Dangerous Car
By driver1962

2006 Nissan Pathfinder S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder with 50,000 miles on it.
In about 2 years the car started shaking and vibrating on the highway.
I started researching and found out this is a serious problem with Nissan Pathfinders 2005-2011.
The Radiator fluid mixes with the transmission fluid and causes damage and puts i you in danger in the middle of the road.
The estimate today from Nissan dealer, $10, 088 and I owe $10, 000 on the car!
Do your homework.
The frustrating entries about this car are all over the internet, including class action lawsuits!

Recall Radiator/transmission parts and fix at no cost to consumer that trusted your product.