Used 2001 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews - 162 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Nissan Pathfinder

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

I really like it...but...
By jhuck

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 01 Pathfinder in 04 with 39,000 miles on it. I now have almost 113,000 miles. First let me say that I love the engine. It rev's quick and has the power of a small v8. Overall it is holding up well but I've had some issues. They are: 1 - 2 mass air flow sensors have crapped (when this goes the vehicle goes into safe mode and rev past 2000 rmp) 2 - 1 O2 sensor 3 - the drivers power seat has stopped going back and forth (i'm living with it as it stuck in my position) 4 - the stock Clarion 6 disk changer stinks. I replaced it with aftermarket single disk unit. (I will never buy Clarion) 5 - Rear defroster only defrosts half the window. 6 - tranny leak that went away.

Quick strong engine, Heated leather, Handles well for an suv.

More head room, I'm 6'1" with a long torso and my hair rubs the roof. Better parts and build quality. More back seat room, currently they are cramped for adults. I'm about to trade it in for something else. I like this suv but I don't trust it.

Trouble free at 122k
By tuvie

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

It just turned 122,300 with the original clutch, one O2 sensor change, a toasted CD changer (just use my iPod now), and the usual wear and tear repairs. I change oil every 3-4,000 miles and have yet to burn any between changes. With mixed driving I get 16-17 mpg with winter fuel and 18-19 in the summer. Long highway trips typically return 21-22 mpg. As this is my vacation vehicle it sees deep sand every summer and deep snow every winter without any problems incurred. I'm not one to wash and wax too frequently, and the finish has held up really well. There is a 2005 Pathy SE in the family too, and it has run flawlessly thus far.

Engine runs effortlessly at all speeds, vision is good, the front seats are comfortable, no rust at all even in salt happy SE PA.

None aside from the CD issue - mine quit after six years. I highly recommend the 01 model year to anyone looking for reliable and solid transportation. Aside from scheduled maintenance I doubt I've spent more than $150 a year on repairs for this truck.

Still fantastic reliable SUV
By assem mota

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought it 3 years back used, pushing it to the limit, never let me down. Had problem with cd (I sent it for repair for 3 times in 2 years), tires lasted for very long time. I still enjoy it too much. In case of change I will go for the new Path.

Powerful (240 hp), cd, cruise control,

Stronger front pumper, better mileage

What a beast
By DK

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle used after I wrecked my 99 4Runner and I have not regretted the purchase. It now has 107k and I've really only had to replace the rear muffler because of rust (I had to replace other things but I was the cause of the other things I replace). It drives amazing and has plenty of power, well a lot more power then my 4Runner. I love to go offroading and this vehicle has aced everything that I have thrown at it. It rides comfortably on the highway and maintaining a certain speed is easy due to its potent v6 engine. Towing is easy though it's only rated at 3500 lb for the 5 speed manual. I am hoping to keep this vehicle until it dies!!

Car like comfort and interior; Bose audio is freaking sweet; powerful v6, 4 low... everything is awesome about it!

Needs a sub woofer to make the Bose even better. Should have kept it to coil over shocks instead of struts.

Bulletproof
By Evergreen

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the car because my buddy has a '99 with 130K miles and his still looks runs and looks like new. Mine has 77K on it now and seems designed and built to last. Only regular maintenance so far. The engine is awesome and puts others to shame with it's smooth power and passing ability. The interior carpet seems to be the only thing that isn't really up to the rugged standards of the rest of the vehicle.

Great exterior looks but I'd never buy a black car again. Interior gets too hot. "Shift on the fly" four wheel drive is great. Love the styled wheels. Awesome stereo with subwoofer. Great headlights/driving lights. "One touch" power windows, both up and down. 250HP, 3.5L V6 engine.

It requires premium fuel or power and mileage suffer. The driver's seat has multiple adjustments but I can't get it comfortable. Visibility is poor as it has dangerous blind spots on drivers side to the rear and also forward at both front pillars. Turning radius could be improved.