Used 2001 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews - 162 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Nissan Pathfinder

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Female Perspective:Rides like a truck...
By phzcskk

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

only worse. Didn't know it's a truck chasis-wish I'd paid closer attn @dealership. Feels like spine compresses when u go over the tiniest bump. Nowhere to put purse. Purse/any cargo-no matter where in car-rolls around, contents spill out. I put crates in back to contain groceries etc & they slide around too. Net is useless. Back hatch extremely heavy & takes all my strength to close. Passngr seat has a 1" gap between the seat & seatback. Whatever is put on seat ends up in back floor. Cupholders are too close together. Cell charger in the way when in park. CD player ate a CD while under warranty so dealer had to replace. Hi-test gas. Bad blind spots on both sides. Limited passngr legroom.

Sitting high up in the traffic. Like seat memory; however, once we accidentally turned it off and thought it was broken. Owner's manual does not mention this "feature".

Warn potential female buyers this is a truck. Needs to be more female- friendly. Improve ride/stability. Close gap in front passngr seat. Auto-close back hatch. Improve interior logistics. Add hooks in rear. Needs better way to secure cargo.

Nice to drive but MANY engine problems
By DaveT

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this after taking a small Toyota to more than 150K miles with no troubles. Like the size, power, interior features and just about everything about the car. But I've had TERRIBLE engine troubles -- all relating to overheating. I've had the radiator replace 3 times, valves, hoses, you name it replaced at multiple dealerships in multiple states (not fun when a car breaks down on a vacation) and no one can seem to fix the problem. As I type this, it's in the shop for at least the 6th time for overheating. Rental car guy in the service area says he sees '01 Pathfinders come through ALL the time. Wish it had the reliability of my old Toyota.

Steering wheel mounted audio controls, cargo room, quickness/power (I've never towed anything, so this is strictly driving around town power), I like most things about the SUV

Fuel economy is TERRIBLE (13-15mpg everywhere), Rear seats take a bit to fold down (compared to today's cars), reliability of the engine (radiator) has been AWFUL for me.

Why havent you bought it yet ?
By Nick

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Well i just traded in my 1993 Maxima and my 1998 altima for the 2001 pathfinder. I absolutly love the truck. The 4 wheel drive is excellent, the VQ35DE engine delivers the power i was looking for, and the auto tranny is smooth as glass. i had 255 tires on mine when i got it so i was pleased. The ride is supportive and the interior is roomy. Ergonomics is nice and interior parts are not cheap feeling.

auto 4x4, suspension, navigation

REAR DISC BRAKES, standard entertainment package, standard heated mirrors

Great and fun to drive
By Marie

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I really love this SUV, it is great in the snow and looks stylish as well. I have never had one problem since I bought it, the only thing we had to do was replace the tires and get the usual maintenance.

Heated seats and 6 disc Cd changer are the best

Not really any, really a great car.

This is a great car
By thedawk

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My family and I love this car. It is absolutely great for taking on a trip. There seems to be plenty of room for a small family and any gear you want to take with you. I think this is the most comfortable car I have ever owned. We had a 95 pathfinder before this one and this one is 100% better. I pulled a 3500 lb. load with it and it handled it great. I don't have any problems with the rear seat being too small, but we have only one kid back there. This car is the perfect size, large enough to pack a family in and travel but small enough to drive around town easily and park easily.

Comfortable interior, engine power and reliability. I have not had a bit of trouble with this car.

The Bose system is nice but WAY too expensive for what you get. I like the in-dash changer and steering wheel controls but the sound of the system is not even that great. The cd changer has already broke and nissan wants almost 1000 dollars to replace it!