Used 2001 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews - 162 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Nissan Pathfinder

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Good except for two annoying problems
By eriley1

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

The 6 CD changer quit working at 50k miles, and the automatic transmission started giving me trouble at 70k miles. Between 40 and 70 mph, it lurches sometimes and shifts hard into overdrive. The dealer recommended replacing it for $2900, but it's still mostly OK so I'm still driving it without the repair. Now I'm at 80k miles. I've been very pleased with the power. Rear passengers sometimes complain about the ride, but as the driver I love it. Very good sound system. I get 17 mpg overall with the 3.5 liter V6. One or both front brake rotors warped somewhere along the way, but I brake hard so it may be my fault. Other than these problems it's been completely trouble free.

Very good power. Good sound system. Good driving position and visibility, and good ride for the driver. Useful rear cargo area with fold-down rear seats.

Center console area could be laid out a little better.

99% Perfect
By kp

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first Nissan vehicle, and it won't be my last! This thing is incredible, the coldest days of the year it starts with out a problem. Whether its on wet, snow covered, dirt, muddy roads or going uphill downhill or around a tight curve i have never felt unsecure driving it! I have had it now for about 1.5 years and its got about 85k on it and runs like its new! Nice job Nissan

My favorite features are the 4WD,Bose sound system, sunroof, power, appearance (inside and out).

can't think of any (maybe bigger fuel tank).

Reliable SUV
By spokes

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've had my 'Pathy' for about three years now. So far I haven't had any major problems. It still rides better then most cars. The gearbox moans when I put it in reverse sometimes. The Bose (Clarion actually) CD changer stopped working. It's a known problem that Nissan won't fix. I sent mine to Clairon for repair. The paint has held up well. I wish the springs were a little stiffer as they compress too easily and can bottom out when hauling adults and cargo. I put Yoko tires on and it eliminated some of the body roll, better ride too. I'd still recommend the 2001 although I like the styling on the 2004 and newer better. Hopefully the gas mileage is improved.

Ride comfort, handling, steering wheel audio controls, sound quality, durability, 6-cyl engine.

Stiffer springs, better tires, window operation in the cold weather, CD changer reliability.

Great SUV - not for tall people
By AlexJC

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Overall I love the look and performance of my Pathfinder. It ran great in the sand of the outer banks and in the snow of Michigan. My only problem is the cramped interior. I am 6'2" and my head touches the ceiling with the seat all the way down. The back seat...forget about it.

260HP engine, shift on the fly 4WD, BOSE sound system, heated leather seats

BETTER GAS MILEAGE especially if you are going to make people use premium! More headroom. More cup holders. Suspension - it feels taut like a truck but does not handle heavy loads very well.

My Nissan Pathfinder
By Rick Ramirez

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

For the first 75,000 miles and when the gas prices were reasonable "my nissan" was great. Long distance, over three hundred miles at a time, the leather seats were a bit unconfortable. After 100000 miles, little things began to happen.........check engine light comes on, clock goes dim than out for good, hesitation on acceleration and the transmission is starting to act up. I think it's time to trade the old guy in.

I personnaly like the height of my pathfinder. Riding on the freeway next to the large trucks I have a comfort level that I'm sure is better than if I were in a Suburu or some other low to the ground car.

I would like to see side molding on the side doors. Dings are a problem while parking in lots etc.