Used 1998 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews - 57 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

The finder of paths aka the pathfinder
By Kevin

1998 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV

I bought a 98 pathfinder used in 2008 for $5000, I think to date it has been the absolute best, most reliable car I have ever purchased. only major issue it had in the 4 years I owned it (it got hit and totaled) was a failed distributor at nearly 175k miles and that was a 10 minute fix. it gets horrible mpg by todays standards but back then it was on par with the suvs of the day. so don't expect great mpg but consistent mpg I averaged either 14 or 15mpg a tank depending on the amount of freeway driving I did. When I bought the suv it still had the factory installed battery from 1998 in it, 10 years old! when it needed a replacement 6 months after purchase I took it out and saw the date code 6/98 and my truck was built 7/98(late 98 model) and this was in early 2009! it got 10.6 years out of the factory battery which is not necessarily saying anything either way about my truck just surprised me. no corrosion nothing terminals came off easy and clean and went back on the new one easy. lets call its engine a tank engine it wont get you there fast but IT WILL GET YOU THERE EVERY SINGLE TIME and this is true except that distributor failure I had it cranked first time every time and ran like a champ never broke down and never needed anything outside of routine upkeep like fluid changes and tires. the drivers seat did get a rip at the outer bolster seam but some needle and thread fixed that and a seat cover prevented new rips. (this seems to be common even on newer Nissan suvs, just like the foam is too plumped out and the fabric rubs and wears out eventually (had same thing happen on a 2000 xterra and I can see it happening on my current 2011 xterra) so seat covers are a must to keep the seat seams nice and wear free, plus it protects from stains. but outside of those minor things this truck is great, especially nowadays as a first car if you want your kid in something safe, reliable, easy to fix and cheap to fix a 98 pathfinder is a winner, yeah their fuel bill might be high but they make up for it in reliability. When mine got hit and totaled a lady ran a stop sign and hit the rear quarter panel of my suv she was in another suv and went all the way up the side at 35mph it was drivable so I drove home and due to its age and mileage the insurance company totaled it, and since I did not want to deal with selling a "salvage title" car later I let them instead of fixing it as they said to fix it, it would then be salvaged but after 4 years and 50k miles of ownership I only put maybe $1500 in repairs and basic upkeep like oil changes(all it ever really needed) and the insurance company valued it at $5200 4 years and 50k miles later then when I bought it for $200 less! these are great trucks and great picks for anyone looking for a reliable suv on a budget

Workhorse
By Mr. G.

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Pathfinder 10 years ago with about 70K miles. This SUV is a workhorse! I have abused this vehicle by towing more than that what you're supposed to. I love its 4WD capability. They don't make cars like this one anymore folks. My only complaint would be the poor gas mileage, but I guess you can't have it all.

So far so good
By brian

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my pathfinder over a year ago for two thousand dollars. It had 213,000 miles on it. I now have 216,000, so I don't drive very much. It is a good car for driving around town, but sometimes it gets shaky on the freeway. It will rock back and forth until I slow down a little or speed up. It has been a reliable car so far. After I purchased it last year, I replaced the timing belt, water pump, and belts because I did not know when they were done last. I have never used the four wheel drive.

1998 Pathfinder 4x4
By buckeyes3108

1998 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4dr SUV 4WD

This is a good truck if it's taken care of. Previous owner lied about what he said he did to it, like regularly changing the oil. Took it to get fluids flushed a week after I got it and my mechanic said that was some dirty oil. I bought it with 175k miles on it for $2000 and I've put $3000 into it. New tires, brakes all around, new front axle, bearings repacked all the way around, rear shocks, alternator, battery and a few other maintenance repairs. Still needs front struts and catalytic converter. Has an oil leak. No rust. Other than that, I really love the truck. Took it 4-wheeling today in the snow. Fun. Giving the truck to my nephew when he turns 16. Hope he gets a lot of use out of it.

4 wheeling in the snow!!!!!!

Pretty Ignorant But Got Lucky
By luckyloulou

1998 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4dr SUV

Back in 2004, when I needed a vehicle, I went into a small Mom & Pop used car dealership and said, "All I have is $10,000. What SUV's do you have?" They showed me one vehicle which happened to be a 1998 Nissan Pathfinder le. Looked good and I bought it, it had 80,000 miles on it. I was lucky! Sadly, she was wrecked/totaled the other day and had 260,000 total miles on her and was still going strong. Paint still looked good. I alone drove her 180,000 rough miles and spent a total of $9,509. in major n minor repairs/maintenance and tires in 10 yrs time. She had started every day of her life, except for when she had a dead battery, or alternator, or bad ignition coil. (R.I.P dear friend!)

Reliability, good ride, strong through all weather conditions (mine never experienced the luxury of a garage in her lifetime), great paint-none lost, no rust until the very end, few major repairs (I spent a lot of money on replacing brakes, shocks, and tires but that was due to living in the backwoods of the Ozark Mtns in Arkansas). Sharp looking vehicle even in 2014, and 16 years old. Good for at least 260,000 miles and I was planning for many more. Did I say reliable yet? Reliable! Never a single regret for purchasing this vehicle! My next vehicle?....a 2004 Nissan Pathfinder with 83,000 mi, of course.

Only a few complaints: Drivers side leather seat began splitting at the seam around 190,000 miles and got worse quickly. The P-1444 sensor kept going out, beginning around 179,000 mi (many $$ spent trying to get that fixed, finally did by going to an auto salvage and getting one from there). I'm thinking....but there's not any other suggested improvements that I can think of.