Used 2005 Nissan Murano Consumer Reviews - 280 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Murano

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

Nice crossover
By Mr. Kevin Dude

2005 Nissan Murano SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Smooth riding and great pick-up. Love the style and how it doesn't blend in. The standard and optional features are great. There really isn't much one could ask for that isn't already available.

Navigation, Sirius radio, Intelligent Key and heated seats tops the list. CVT is awesome, not feeling the shifts and the fuel economy are great. Like the fact it runs on regular fuel.

Would really like to have a built in port for iPods or other mp3 players. Increase in fuel economy and power would also be appreciated. Would really like a flip-up rear window.

I LOVE MY MURANO!
By Joana

2005 Nissan Murano S Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

As a previous Chevrolet Suburban owner (for about eleven years) this Nissan took me by surprise. I can't ride in smaller vehicles without feeling carsick and unsafe. When I started to think about down-sizing, I drove all sorts of styles and models. And I came across a Murano, drove it and loved it! But I wasn't sure I could drive a smaller vehicle ALL the time. I kept my sub. for a little longer, but kept looking at other vehicle, always going back to the Murano. Then I found one that had ALL of the options of an SL, but was an S. I traded in my sub. for it, had a panic attack 9 days later, and got over that about 3 days later. I made the right choice! I absolutely LOVE MY MURANO!!!

I love the way the seats feel and compare them to my suburban. It drives awesome, handles well, feels sporty, is smooth riding, looks classy, is stylish, has great sound and features. Plenty of cargo room for me (esp. after I was use to my sub.) I have had so many compliments on it. I'm sold on it!!

It would be awesome if it would get better gas mileage, it doesn't get what sticker says. Mine gets about 15 to 18 in town. I haven't had the chance for a road trip yet, but I will soon. I will wait for the gas mileage to improve on the newer models then I'll trade up.

The surprise cute-ute
By Dan

2005 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I started searching for a small SUV to replace my wife's old 03 Outback. I had narrowed my choices down between the rav4 & crv. After finding that the rav4 equipped the way we wanted wasn't a good deal, I was sure the crv would be the car. We happened to checkout the new rogue, but we weren't impressed with it. My wife however, liked the Murano. After realizing it was MUCH bigger than it looks, we took one for a spin, and liked the overall feel. We went to look at the crv, and did not like it, so we went back and got a murano. MPG is good IMO for a V6 SUV. We've had the car for over 2 weeks now, and consistently avg about 20-21 mpg with mostly "city" (stop lights) driving. Great car!

Fold flat seats from handle in rear. Comfy seats. Good but a bit dated nav/stereo system. Heated seats. reclining back seats.

As others have mentioned, CVT really needs some adjustments. It doesn't feel natural at all. Ride could be a lot smoother, you really do feel every crack in the road. Stop making ppl pay $180/yr for nav updates!

CVT
By Amanda

2005 Nissan Murano S AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

We bought this car brand new in 2005, I loved it. The drive was amazing and smooth, I just loved every feature of the car. We have had no issues with the car and it has been very well maintained. I took it in to have the brakes replaced, which didn't need to be done until 65,000 miles. After I picked up the car I noticed it was making this fluttering sound so I took it to the dealer and the dream car became a nightmare. They told me it had internal failure to the transmission and they recommend replacement. $4500.00!! There were metal shavings in my fluid and besides the noise I wouldn't have noticed because it still drove fine. Please be cautious with this tranny it is costly to replace!

The feel of the drive, the look of the overall vehicle. I loved the room inside. Also love the storage compartments!

Warranties that go beyond 60K especially when working with a CVT that hasn't yet broken into the market that well.

Good for what it is
By Nissan2

2005 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I own a 2002 Altima with 143000 miles. I gave it to my wife to drive. She eagerly drove the car. Found this car on the used car lot. The SUV drives like a sports car but loves premium fuel to get the best performance. This SUV is very solid and quite. The CVT is very smooth and I love the way it accelerates. If you drive this car aggressively your mileage will suffer. I consistently get 21 to 24 MPG. I knew the mileage potential before I bought it. I wasn't sure if I would like the different styling of the dash but it perfect for placing my Garmin Nuvi760 on. I used the bean bag (friction) mount.

Keyless ignition is great. I do enjoy the 8-way adjustable seating and the leather interior. The short wheelbase allows you to make very tight turns. Many people have admired the SUV and commented on the quality of the ride. The black leather interior is the best color of the Murano choices.

The gauges and the yellow monochrome display are probably the two features I am not wild about. Being a used car it is still a very good vehicle.