Used 2005 Nissan Murano SUV Consumer Reviews - 280 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Murano SUV

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

Not a long term car - too bad
By KLBliss

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Loved my Murano from day 1 but am learning the hard way it won't go long term without some heavy costs. Currently @53,000 miles. Driver's seat rail collapsed just after warranty expired. Nissan USA forced dealership to cover the repair without cost - it clearly wasn't normal wear & tear. Now electrical systems are acting up - even when not it in use the Bose 6 disc CD player shuffles discs when the ignition is turned off. Front windows roll down when the remote is used to unlock the car. Occasionally, a motor under the passenger seat triggers and whines when I turn the ignition off.

The style, size and power. Mileage is okay but less than promised...even when driven optimally and well maintained. At $1.35/gal - who cares. At $4.00/gal - it makes a BIG difference!

Plastic interiors scratch and mar easily especially the door panels.

Poor Build Quality Means Failing Parts
By Disapointed

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Good mechanicals and style have been offset by lots of design and quality problems. Defective power passenger window, power outlet in front, broken drivers seat motor (big $1,000 problem, Nissan wants to replace full seat for plastic gear in motor, universal failure), grille chrome plating bubbling off, lots of squeaks and rattles. I'm only putting 2,800 miles a year on a $40,000+ car, and is already showing lots of problems. What will happen at 15,000 or 20,000 miles?

Exterior style, handling, front visibility, interior room

Rear visibility is awful, must have a backup camera to safely park. Poor design choices like the plastic seat gear need to be replaced

Love/Hate Relationship
By Skeptical in GA

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I loved the Murano when they came out and it was a clear choice when I downsized from my Chevy Tahoe. I wanted a smaller SUV but with a lot of interior space, especially in the back seat, and I loved the sporty style. I purchased an '05 the first week they came out. It rode very smooth and was quiet, had good pickup and much better gas mileage (21 mpg avg) compared to 14mpg in my Tahoe. Everything was great until this 4th year. My power seat has broken ($900), driver door lock is broken ($600), I need to replace my tires for the second time, and now my engine is making a knocking noise. I'm told it's probably the motor mounts (another $900). This car is getting expensive!

Styling, comfort, size

I don't like the design of the console. I'm disappointed with everything "breaking" at once. The car still looks good after 4 years but it draining my bank account. I've also had a shimmy in my steering around 60-65mph that has never been able to be corrected.

Love My Murano!
By piper

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I owned an XTerra previously and traded it in due to fuel mileage. I love the reliability of Nissan and still wanted AWD for Colorado winters. The Murano was a perfect fit! Should have bought one in the first place! Rides amazing (like a luxury car) and so much room in the back seat for my teenage son! It's so quiet also. Very fun to drive. Gas mileage is great for an SUV! We are getting around 26-30 on the hwy compared to 17 in my XTerra! Love it!

Smooth ride, gas mileage, room, AWD, dual climate, everything!

None!

Always buy the extended warrantee!!
By m0mzilla

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I'm heartbroken at the collapse of this car after owning it for just over a year! I LOVED it, but out of the blue, with no warnings or dash lights, I'm told that my transmission has failed with only 68k miles on the car! The important info is: Nissan does not repair transmissions - they only replace them at a more than $5k cost! Also, no transmission shops can work on them so there are no options. I can't believe this car broke down so quickly and buyer beware - Nissan repairs are insanely expensive!! I wish someone had told me this. I would have bought the extended warrantee.

Body style, comfort.

Don't break down so quickly. Incredibly expensive to repair. Dealership repair is only option.