Used 2004 Nissan Murano Consumer Reviews - 447 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Nissan Murano

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

great murano
By grantj

2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I love the car. I had a few problems with it at first. The CD changer (single cd) was changed 3x before it would stop eating cd's. The steering controls stopped working and a fuel injector went out after 1 month. Not major since the car had 55k miles when purchased. Some controls feel cheap. The gas tank door would not unlock, door locks sometimes stick. I haven't had any problems in the last 10 months. very pleased, not so pleased with the customer service at the dealership but it's getting better. They do not take care of the car, several scratches on the dash and radio due to their carelessness during service.

Moonroof, power, cvt transmission, size, handling, styling, sound, driving excitement, roomy interior, towing capacity, fuel mileage, back seat recliner, tons of room, best car ever to travel.

it drives me nuts the doors do not lock automatically when put in gear, it took me a while to adjust to the seats, they weren't very comfortable. add daytime running lights, who wouldn't want more power?

Never again
By Needs Help

2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have only had my Murano for a year and a half since buying it as a used vehicle. I have already had to replace the controlling arms, tie-rods, and muffler. Now I have found out that there is an engine problem and will require around $3000 to $4000 to fix. I am highly disappointed and will not purchase another Murano. There should not be this many problems with a car before you hit 100,000 miles.

AWD is very nice, car handles very well and the sound system is great.

Mechanical improvements. Visibility out back of vehicle when using mirrors

ANOTHER new tranny needed
By palmtreezz

2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Bought the Nissan used, only 2 years old and 32,000 miles on it, transmission went out 2 days later. Now just over 2 years on that tranny and it's out. Nissan wants $5500 for a rebuilt transmission. The other 40+ cars in my close family are all American, so they are having fun with the "I told you so's". After a year of chemo and radiation it's the last thing I needed, can't afford to fix it so it sits on a trailer while I continue to get rides to work and make a payment on it.

back seats are roomy and seat lays back. Can drive with sunroof open.

Very touchy steering, air conditioner takes too long to cool off car.

Won't Buy Another Nissan
By Kelly

2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This was my first brand new car. Bought Nissan because of reliability. Have been sorely disappointed in quality of car. Have had to replace both front door locks (quit unlocking) windshield (mirror came off with a chunk of windshield with it) Bose 6-CD player quit after 2 years. Now some of the display on radio doesn't work. Driver's side visor falls down 20 times a day & is now velcroed to the headliner. Lost one of the black inner fenders somewhere.One of the little trays in console no longer opens. Driver's seat rocks & moves when you start & stop. Local dealer "has never heard of any of these problems before with a Murano". I'm trading it off ASAP.

I love the look and the ride is great. Build quality is the problem. They just aren't made to last.

Do Not Waste Your Money!
By Dissappointed

2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I bought a 2004 Nissan Murano back in 2006, since then I have had a list of problems and issues with it. I dropped the transfer case at 62,000 miles... Since my warranty ended at 60,000 I had to fight to get the dealer to pay for it, or it would have been a $6400 fix... Also, the Murano eats Wheel Barrings! At least once a year I am replacing the barrings.. If that wasn't enough to deter you, try mysterious rattles in the dash and door, Hatch handle works when it wants to and gas mileage is not great. The Murano is a very "pretty" cross over SUV, but the mechanical issues far out-weigh the positives on this one. Do not waste your money buying one or your time repairing it.

Seat comfort, lots of leg room, CVT transmission is awesome (but expensive to fix when something goes wrong), memory seating, declining rear seat, trunk space

MP3/AUX link, better dash lighting