Used 2004 Nissan Murano SUV Consumer Reviews - 448 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Nissan Murano SUV

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

Avoid High Mileage Used Murano's
By moneypitowner

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Love the design and functionality of the Murano.
Had Nissan and Infinity vehicles before and the earlier designs were very reliable and economical to maintain.
I put 200K on my earlier Nissans and they ran great.
Not the case with Murano.
I bought the Murano with 80K on it.
Owner babied the Murano and fully maintained by dealer, all receipts. At 115K. CVT transmission went bad. $4500 repair.
Head gasket bad at 121k, another $4000 repair. The radio died and needed to be replaced at 130K. The drivers seat frame broke at 155K, a common problem for this model and it costs over $800 to get repaired at the dealer. The power steering hose failed at 176k. Another common problem. The cost to maintain this vehicle does not make it worthwhile to own. There are much better used cars out there.
Another $4500 repair.
Numerous reports of transfer case failures as well as exhaust system repairs.
Very expensive repairs.
Recent problems with head gaskets on newer models also reported.
Get extended warranties if you keep the car past dealer warranty period.
Don't buy a first generation used Murano.

Cannibal Car
By jshores

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

At 45,000 miles the Check engine light came on due to a bad Catalytic Convertor, not diagnosed correctly by dealer. Honeycomb in converter powered and was sucked into engine. Diagnosed correctly after the factory warranty ran out. At 68K miles it has scored the pistons which causes the engine to burn about 1 quart of oil every 500 miles. Would cost more to fix than car is worth.

Driver side seat panels cracked and peeled apart. Car could not be aligned adequately.

It is a quiet comfortable vehicle. Easy to use and liked by all who entered it.

Check your local dealerships reputation carefully before purchasing.

Should have a mechanic as an option
By celejao

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Bought my 2004 new. Have put on at least 3 to 4 brakes, and 3 sets of tires. Currently has 170,000 miles and is stuck at the dealership, was towed there. Right now needs motor mounts, catalylic convertor, front brakes, burns oil, a trans leak (so the dealer says, I do not have any leak spots on the ground),
four tires, a belt: $6,000. in parts and labor! Really?
I just replaced the CV joint on the drivers side. 350.00, an independent friend replaced it, probably double price at a service station. Nissan dealership is basically telling me to junk the car, so I will buy a new one. They tell me the engine may be bad, the transmission may need to be replaced. Dealership is scary.

Can fit a lot in the trunk area. Used to love the pick up it had. Comfortable. Liked highway driving. Bose is good.

Gas cap was stuck and I had to break it open. Nothing like being stuck at a gas pump, and unable to open the gas cover! Now does not lock, need a credit card to open it. CD changer does not work well in cold weather. Front visor either stays down or up, no in-between. Very difficult to make minor repairs. Took half a day to change out the back wiper. Take it to the dealer to replace, really? My front seat is getting loose. Read others have to have it fixed. Disappointed in Nissan. Too costly to maintain and costly repairs. I would not recommend buying a used Murano.

Disappointed
By chill68

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Purchased in 2004. Happy with the overall look and performance.
Did not buy it for gas milege just wanted a safe vehicle for wifey.
Check engine light stays on due to a bad Catalytic Convertor.
Which in subsequent models was repaired.
This causes the engine to burn oil because of particle blowback.
The only sensible repair is a new engine.
About 2-3 quarts every 2K miles.
Driver side seat panels and arm rest cracked and peeled apart.
During hot weather the door locks stick.
Have to hold the unlock button and let the windows roll down to get in.
The gas tank door opener stop working.
I just disconnected from the system versus paying $300 for the part.
Cannot wait to part with.

Comfortable should have purchased the Infiniti FX

Wished Nissan would have recalled the vehicle for the engine issue.

I love my 2004 Nissan Murano.. so far.. lol
By tish86

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I just got my 2004 Nissan Murano at a cheap price with high miles a little over 140k but have been told for years since I was a teenager that Nissans are good cars and last for a long time.
I never realized though that it would be so costly.. but its worth it.
I get looks whenever I drive my truck and love it.
I do need to replace the tires and its a bummer that I have to replace all four instead of just the usual one that I am used to.

The best deal that I came across was from Walmart for $550.00 for all four.
It drives smooth so far and no problems so far.. will keep posted.
Of course a suv is gonna be more costly to keep up then a car but I have three kids so I need a suv

I love how when I put the key in the seat moves up to accomodiate me and then when I take the key out it moves back.. I was like wow... this is so cool.. I love the black leahter seats and the sun roof which is just awesome. Then the bose stereo system. I really chose this vehicle because I have three children and my two sons play football and they are big and tall so its quite roomy in the back for them.

The sun shield does keep popping down on my side which is becoming pretty annoying and I need to get it tightened.. thats really about it for now... and I pray that nothing major happens... other than that I am pretty happy with it.