Used 2003 Nissan Murano Consumer Reviews - 581 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Nissan Murano

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

ripped off
By ripped off

2003 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I had my murano for four years now and I had it. I considered all the problems it cost me...alternator, replaced battery TWICE, replaced door locks, replaced gas door, NOW they are telling me that I need to replace my engine mount because it's cracked. I drive my cars cautiously, and I need something reliable. Did I add that it left me stranded TWICE and I had to call for help. Thats when I had the alternator changed. Now that I have a family, I cannot be wasting my extra cash on repairs/replacement. I will NEVER purchase another Nissan. This will be my first and last.

Bose system, and interior features

5 years later
By car101

2003 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This car has been great for the past 5 years. It's been solid and has never needed any major fixes. It's always been very usable in the real world, from loading it full of items for transportation to driving around a full family of 5. With a black on black color with 22" black rims the car looks great even to this day. When driving around town it has always had solid pick up and the CVT is something that works seamlessly. You start to really love the gear changing without feeling it happening. In the last year or so I was rear ended. The car stood like a champ and only needed minor repairs to the muffler. Otherwise the bumper was perfectly fine. It's been a great car.

CVT is seamless. The look is very sporty in black with black 22" rims. Using the navigation to get home from anywhere is great. Riding in the vehicle has always been quiet and relaxing. Rear seating reclining is great as is having the rear seats sitting higher up then front seats.

A touch screen GPS. Also, a better stereo. My Bose has broken on me 5 times from using the random disc changer often. Not a lot to fix it has been great!

Love the vehicle
By j doc

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have loved this SUV. I have owned the Quest van previously and also had good experiences with these cars. My vehicle has 80000 miles and has recently had the transmission replaced. Also had the gas cap issue.

I like the leather seats, the Bose radio, the roomy interior and the handling. It drives so easily. We also have a Vue which I hate to drive. I also enjoy the heated seats.

Fix the transmission problem it's costly to fix 4000$ plus, also I dislike the light on the turn handle I have turned the lights off more than once while turning. I do not like the chrome dash as it scratches to easily.

A lemon
By Greatly Disappointed

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

2003 Murano has had nothing but problems. Have replaced hatchback lock, rear wiper motor/blade, transmission, radiator, headlight, transfer case for a total of $6,000. The transmission was still under warranty. If it hadn't, that would have been another $4,000. Powertrain only warrantied to 60,000 so transfer case cost me $3,700. Nissan and dealership refused any assistance on repair cost despite well-documented history of these known problems for this model year. Dealer told me I should have bought the extended warranty when it was offered to me.

Stand behind your product, Nissan.

Will definitely buy another
By Jeff

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This is the second Nissan I've owned. I bought it with 16k miles about four years ago, and it just turned over 92k. I drove it back and forth from NY to VA several times, and it was very comfortable and got decent mileage. No major problems whatsoever. I step on the gas and response is immediate. Great speed-to-speed acceleration, too. The interior could be better, but I'm 6'3" and feel very comfortable inside. I wish it had an auxiliary hookup for audio devices, and the CVT has kind of a dynaflow effect every now and then; a 5-speed automatic or 4-speed with O/D would be better suited for the car. Once I refinance the mortgage, I'm getting a fully loaded '09 Murano LE AWD.

Great gas mileage for an SUV, vast interior space, great exterior styling, responsive engine, fantastic speed-to-speed acceleration, stereo speakers don't sound like factory speakers, rear seats fold down super-easy.

All these things are changed in the '09, but the older models needed a sharper transmission, a more luxurious interior for a $35k+ car, an auxiliary input for mp3 players, XM/Sirius etc., more cupholders, and not to discontinue the sunlit copper color!