Used 2003 Nissan Murano Consumer Reviews - 582 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Nissan Murano

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

Expensive at 45000 miles
By Ian

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

In the last 6 months we have spent nearly$1700 on repairs to this Murano. It would have been more if we had paid the $900 for new motor mounts when the car had done 45,000 miles. The dealer got Nissan to pay for it after a lot of complaining from me. The car has done 51080 miles and 2 months ago we paid $900 for front struts and now $457 dollars for an electric window motor, 50$ for a rear stop light change and $43 for an inspection and oil change. The dealer claims the muffler needs replacing for another $914 and the car need brakes and rotors for another $600. If this is typical, at this mileage, of Nissan products, then they are producing lemons.

ripped off
By ripped off

2003 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I had my murano for four years now and I had it. I considered all the problems it cost me...alternator, replaced battery TWICE, replaced door locks, replaced gas door, NOW they are telling me that I need to replace my engine mount because it's cracked. I drive my cars cautiously, and I need something reliable. Did I add that it left me stranded TWICE and I had to call for help. Thats when I had the alternator changed. Now that I have a family, I cannot be wasting my extra cash on repairs/replacement. I will NEVER purchase another Nissan. This will be my first and last.

Bose system, and interior features

5 years later
By car101

2003 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This car has been great for the past 5 years. It's been solid and has never needed any major fixes. It's always been very usable in the real world, from loading it full of items for transportation to driving around a full family of 5. With a black on black color with 22" black rims the car looks great even to this day. When driving around town it has always had solid pick up and the CVT is something that works seamlessly. You start to really love the gear changing without feeling it happening. In the last year or so I was rear ended. The car stood like a champ and only needed minor repairs to the muffler. Otherwise the bumper was perfectly fine. It's been a great car.

CVT is seamless. The look is very sporty in black with black 22" rims. Using the navigation to get home from anywhere is great. Riding in the vehicle has always been quiet and relaxing. Rear seating reclining is great as is having the rear seats sitting higher up then front seats.

A touch screen GPS. Also, a better stereo. My Bose has broken on me 5 times from using the random disc changer often. Not a lot to fix it has been great!

Love the vehicle
By j doc

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have loved this SUV. I have owned the Quest van previously and also had good experiences with these cars. My vehicle has 80000 miles and has recently had the transmission replaced. Also had the gas cap issue.

I like the leather seats, the Bose radio, the roomy interior and the handling. It drives so easily. We also have a Vue which I hate to drive. I also enjoy the heated seats.

Fix the transmission problem it's costly to fix 4000$ plus, also I dislike the light on the turn handle I have turned the lights off more than once while turning. I do not like the chrome dash as it scratches to easily.

A lemon
By Greatly Disappointed

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

2003 Murano has had nothing but problems. Have replaced hatchback lock, rear wiper motor/blade, transmission, radiator, headlight, transfer case for a total of $6,000. The transmission was still under warranty. If it hadn't, that would have been another $4,000. Powertrain only warrantied to 60,000 so transfer case cost me $3,700. Nissan and dealership refused any assistance on repair cost despite well-documented history of these known problems for this model year. Dealer told me I should have bought the extended warranty when it was offered to me.

Stand behind your product, Nissan.