Used 2003 Nissan Murano SUV Consumer Reviews - 581 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Nissan Murano SUV

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

CVT problems
By d l stough

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Replaced transmission with 78000 miles,now experiencing problems with second transmission when it snows and only when it snows, the transmission sputters and shuts down, let the car sit for two hours and it is ok very dangerous when driving

2003 Nissan Murano
By deenah

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have a 2003 that had 20k when I got it in 2007. The entire fuel system failed in my car at 40k in Oct. 2008. I liked the car for some of the + points, but this car has just become worse over time. The driver side visor broke and Nissan wants $350 to fix it, but their own parts employee said that they see this problem all the time/everyday! The car has just under 50k on it, and I think that a problem with the transmission is starting because it loses power from the get go when at a stop. I don't know why Nissan was so shoddy making this car b/c it was suppose to be a unique, sleek SUV.

The color, style, power, and the Bose sound system

The visor, my Bose speaker is already broken on the right side, and a whole lotta engine issues.

CVT Issues
By lemonornot?

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

We bought our Murano less than a year ago at 58k miles. Was looking forward to owning a Murano since they came out in 2003 and prices finally came down to where we could afford one. Well much to our surprise at 65k miles the engine starts to run at 4000 rpm going down the highway one long trip and we literally feel the vehicle losing power and jumping forward. We end up turning around on the highway in the median then can't move at all. COMPLETELY LOST POWER WITH THE GAS PEDAL TO THE FLOOR!!! Thought we were going to be stranded on the highway! Turn engine off/on and it goes by golly. Took it back to dealer and found the transmission had to be replaced, metal in pan. CVT has issues.

Navigation system and ride comfortability before the transmission started having issues.

Nissan needs to definitely fix this transmission issue. CVT or not, transmissions should not be going out on a 4 or 5 year old vehicle even if its a crappy one. Dealer told us it will cost $5600 to fix it. This is no small repair.

Nissan & Transmissions
By Very Disappointed

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I purchased my Murano after reading numerous Edmunds' reviews. In January of '06 everything I read was positive, yet now I sit with a $5000 estimate to rebuild my transmission on an '03 vehicle that has just tripped 87,000 miles. This is my 2nd Nissan & my 2nd issue with replacing a transmission (the 1st a '92 Maxima with over 150,000 miles). I too have had the issue of putting my foot on the gas and getting no power after a stop in traffic. It's scary, dangerous & frustrating to think I know have to replace a transmission so soon.

The comfort level and space with kids. Great drive (like a car) and fabulous look for the price.

Nissan needs to go back to the drawing board when it comes to transmissions on all of their vehicles!!!

Expensive at 45000 miles
By Ian

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

In the last 6 months we have spent nearly$1700 on repairs to this Murano. It would have been more if we had paid the $900 for new motor mounts when the car had done 45,000 miles. The dealer got Nissan to pay for it after a lot of complaining from me. The car has done 51080 miles and 2 months ago we paid $900 for front struts and now $457 dollars for an electric window motor, 50$ for a rear stop light change and $43 for an inspection and oil change. The dealer claims the muffler needs replacing for another $914 and the car need brakes and rotors for another $600. If this is typical, at this mileage, of Nissan products, then they are producing lemons.