Used 2003 Nissan Murano Consumer Reviews - 582 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Nissan Murano

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

Over Rated Murano
By mikesmurano

2003 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This will we the last Nissan product I ever buy. The Murano is the most over rated car I have ever owned. For the price I payed, I am disgusted with the quality of the car. I care for it well and it's still falling apart! I should have bought a Chevy Tahoe! 1. Failed CVT $6200. 2. Failed door solenoids $450. 3. Leakey sunroof. 4. Bose CD player failed. 5. Power seats have back lash in gear drive. 6. Cup holder arms broke with little pressure. 7. Failed CATYLITIC converter & O2 sensors $1050. 8. Valve cover PCV system clogged $450. 9. Oil leaks & coolant leaks. All of this and I change the oil every 3000 miles. I am a mechanical engineer and check every thing weekly.

Good interior design & nice leather seats.

Use higher quality materials and better engineer the car. The CVT stinks! It is prone to problems and is unrepairable.

CVT problems
By d l stough

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Replaced transmission with 78000 miles,now experiencing problems with second transmission when it snows and only when it snows, the transmission sputters and shuts down, let the car sit for two hours and it is ok very dangerous when driving

2003 Nissan Murano
By deenah

2003 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have a 2003 that had 20k when I got it in 2007. The entire fuel system failed in my car at 40k in Oct. 2008. I liked the car for some of the + points, but this car has just become worse over time. The driver side visor broke and Nissan wants $350 to fix it, but their own parts employee said that they see this problem all the time/everyday! The car has just under 50k on it, and I think that a problem with the transmission is starting because it loses power from the get go when at a stop. I don't know why Nissan was so shoddy making this car b/c it was suppose to be a unique, sleek SUV.

The color, style, power, and the Bose sound system

The visor, my Bose speaker is already broken on the right side, and a whole lotta engine issues.

CVT Issues
By lemonornot?

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

We bought our Murano less than a year ago at 58k miles. Was looking forward to owning a Murano since they came out in 2003 and prices finally came down to where we could afford one. Well much to our surprise at 65k miles the engine starts to run at 4000 rpm going down the highway one long trip and we literally feel the vehicle losing power and jumping forward. We end up turning around on the highway in the median then can't move at all. COMPLETELY LOST POWER WITH THE GAS PEDAL TO THE FLOOR!!! Thought we were going to be stranded on the highway! Turn engine off/on and it goes by golly. Took it back to dealer and found the transmission had to be replaced, metal in pan. CVT has issues.

Navigation system and ride comfortability before the transmission started having issues.

Nissan needs to definitely fix this transmission issue. CVT or not, transmissions should not be going out on a 4 or 5 year old vehicle even if its a crappy one. Dealer told us it will cost $5600 to fix it. This is no small repair.

Nissan & Transmissions
By Very Disappointed

2003 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I purchased my Murano after reading numerous Edmunds' reviews. In January of '06 everything I read was positive, yet now I sit with a $5000 estimate to rebuild my transmission on an '03 vehicle that has just tripped 87,000 miles. This is my 2nd Nissan & my 2nd issue with replacing a transmission (the 1st a '92 Maxima with over 150,000 miles). I too have had the issue of putting my foot on the gas and getting no power after a stop in traffic. It's scary, dangerous & frustrating to think I know have to replace a transmission so soon.

The comfort level and space with kids. Great drive (like a car) and fabulous look for the price.

Nissan needs to go back to the drawing board when it comes to transmissions on all of their vehicles!!!