Used 2003 Nissan Murano Consumer Reviews - 582 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Nissan Murano

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

Traded it in
By sdwtchlvr

2003 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I owned a 2003 Murano from 4/06-5/10.

Here are a few bullet points.

•The SE ride is very rigid...the suspension is supposed to be sport tuned but it is awfully rough and rigid.
Had to replace struts at 70K and when I traded it in, a couple of the motor mounts were shot.

•The frame on the driver's seat broke, so the window side of the seat sagged down.
Did some research and found I was not alone.
Nissan wanted to replace the seat at $1500+. No thanks.

•The HID head light went out.
Bought a replacement bulb for $180. That blew right after putting it in.
Bought another one, same thing.
Turns out it was the transistor housing for the bulb.
Headache.

Traded it in for a Camry.

Interior & Exterior design.

Build quality. Should have known when I bought a first year production. Hopefully they improved upon some things over the year.

BEWARE: 2003 Murano Tranny is a Lemon!
By Former Murano Owner

2003 Nissan Murano SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I bought an 03 Murano 62k miles on it. Beautiful, lots of features, pretty good MPG. Unfortunately, within a month or two I experienced the "bunny hop." In stop-and-go traffic, I first noticed the acceleration was sluggish. Then, after each complete stop, it was dangerously unresponsive - creeping along at a couple of mph. Then the engine figured out it was going too slow, it revved up and jumped forward. I could have rear-ended someone. Read other reviews and you will see that I am not alone. THIS IS A DANGEROUS CAR! It broke my heart because I loved my Murano. But I was tired of worrying that my transmission would either blow out or, worse, injure someone.

All around beautiful car. Heated leather seats of an interesting sienna color. CD player had a tape deck that I used (with a converter) to play my mp3 player. Lots of interior space. 20.1 MPG combined city/hwy.

The 2003 was the first model year and its CVT transmission is completely unreliable. Do some research and you will see that Nissan should do a recall. Dealers/mechanics that I've talked to seemed to be either uninformed or hiding something. Later models sound like they're okay, but avoid the 2003!

Don't buy it unless you like repair bills
By tacosauce

2003 Nissan Murano SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

It's attractive because of the look & I just like the way it "sits". However just like any relationship looks only go so far. 1st off engine noise & road noise is horrible. Problems: It wasn't responding to the accelerator-had to replace the transmission, replaced alternator, replaced oxygen sensor, replaced intake valve solenoid, window fell down into door-replaced power window assembly, replaced transfer case, heated seat switches replaced, replacing rear window wiper requires special Nissan part, waterproofing & trim falling off all over the car, key replacement = $290 for remote+$150 for microchip key. Total repair costs $4,505. Car is garaged,only driven about 9000 miles per year.

Looks, stance, CVT (when working), information screen, seat and pedal adjustments, automatic AWD

Overall quality of mechanical and body parts, center console is not very functional, improve HVAC to rear of vehicle. It would be more useful if it were scrapped and the materials recycled to build a new Honda.

Can't drive very well over 65 mph
By tauris2000

2003 Nissan Murano SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I am having trouble driving my 2003 Nissan Murano over 65 mph on the highway. It revs really high and then engine sounds like it is going to explode. It seems like it is already in the highest gear possible and it of course won't shift any higher. I am afraid to take it out of town on longer highway trips because of this. I have an extended warranty but don't know what the problem is or if it would be covered. I have taken it to one Nissan Dealer and one Carmax dealer and neither have been able to diagnose a problem. They also aren't allowed to take it out on the highway which seems absurd. Any input would be much appreciated.

Murano, Transmitions are ok dont worry,
By chrssll

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Hello my name is Chris from Ma, I just purchased my 2003 Murano SL AWD with 63k on it. I love the interior and exterior. I read the reviews about the CVT transmissions with customers having issues with them. I called Nissan today because I had thought i was having trouble with my tranny but they told me most people don't know and aren't used to driving with the CVT thats why they think they are having trouble with them. Nissan recently extended their warranty to 10 years or 120,000 miles on any Nissan with the CVT. You don't have to do any thing to receive this warranty what so ever. ALSO if you have repaired your transmission withing the 120K they will send you in full your money back.

DUAL EXHAUST is the main reason, Very sporty AWD sun roof, cool looking exterior, NAVIGATION. Everything. GREAT fuel economy. I get 19MPG in city and 23MPG highway. PUT the PREMIUM FUEL in by the way it helps out a lot it actually saves you money on fuel believe me!

The transmission to me could still use some adjustments so we all don't have to think were having issues with the transmissions but other than that its great.