Used 2003 Nissan Murano Consumer Reviews - 584 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Murano Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

Worst winter car ever.
By Fuzzbean

2003 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I got this car used from my elderly dad, who got good service out of it in Florida and during Michigan summers. He even drove it successfully through several Upper Michigan winters, but only occasional retiree-style use on flat roads in nice weather and -- critically-- he always parked it in a garage. He had the luxury of picking which days he wanted to drive. For seeing several winters and being about 15 years old, I will say it has held up well as far as rusting. Then again it only has about 110,000 miles on it. While my dad was highly pleased with the car, my opinion is entirely different and I only drive it because my better Honda Odyssey got totaled by a teenager who failed to stop at a stop sign. In my opinion this CVT transmission is the worst drive system ever invented for winter driving. Once a wheel breaks traction, the transmission thinks "Wheeee! I'm going downhill!" and instantly shifts into higher and higher gear ratios. When you are going 15 mph and your wheels are going 60 mph, it is very hard to re-establish traction. Even more maddening are the windshield wipers. The passenger side wiper arm is about 3 feet long, and parks into a closed pocket under the rear edge of the hood. Inevitably snow will get into the pocket, and it has no way to escape. Engine heat turns the snow into hard ice. More snow piles on the ice, etc. etc. until the wiper arm slips on its shaft and "parks" way high on the windshield. Then the wipers start to click together. Then they get totally snarled up and you are lucky if nothing serious breaks. Because of this one feature alone, the car requires 3 times as much care as any other car I ever drove in the winter. It is one of the stupidest design features I have ever seen on any car, and could kill somebody driving during a blizzard of heavy wet "packing" snow. Since it is snow gathering below the wiper blade that causes the total system failure, driving slower would actually make it happen sooner. In addition, the wiper arms' location under the hood means you can't stand up the wiper arms/blades for any reason, such as to prevent them freezing to the windshield, or to scrape frost/ice off the windshield, or to change wiper blades. And the windshield defroster is too hot at the bottom and too cold at the top, resulting in a windshield that is externally wet at the bottom (refreezing into hard ice) and internally fogged at the top. If your wipers happen to be working, they smear the wet from the bottom up onto the cold top area, where it freezes and creates an even bigger vision problem. Another bad feature for winter driving, shared with many other cars I know, is that the rear hatch door swings too close over the bumper. So you better not have any crusty snow piled up on your rear bumper. The plastic bubble headlights on this car get covered with ice and snow in winter, and any attempt to scrape them clean with a windshield scraper (especially the brass-edge scrapers I use) will permanently scratch them. Aside from winter driving, visibility towards the rear is really bad in any season. The rear side windows are a joke, in particular. I hate this sloped windshield design at the front, too... the angle and width of the front roof pillars seem perfectly calculated to block my side vision efficiently when I pull up to 90-degree intersections. The factory CD player ate my CD and sometimes will play it but will never eject it. The heater/air conditioner controls are very un-intuitive; I just press buttons randomly until something happens that approximates what I want. The gas mileage is very poor, about 17 or 18 mpg in mixed driving and maybe 21 on pure highway. I had a 1987 Toyota that got 38 mpg... this is 15 years of technological progress? I hate the anti-lock brakes, the way the pedal vibrates and rumbles is very startling, like suddenly rubbing a metal bar against a rough spinning rock. It also seems like one wheel hits a icy spot and the whole braking system gives up completely... I could stop faster without this system, and more than once have rolled out helplessly into highway traffic. It is one thing to slide on ice, but much more alarming to be ROLLING forward helplessly. Also the transmission offers a degree of engine braking -- which could be a good thing -- except it cuts out suddenly at low speeds and leaves you in free-fall, just as you are closing in on another car's bumper. The door locks on this car are incredibly badly designed... they rotate on the same axis as the door handle, and simply opening the door in a very normal and typical way often allows the heel of your palm to unintentionally rotate the lock into the locked position. I have been locked out of the car to where I had to call a mechanic with fancy tools to get me back in, and my dad was also locked out several times. And how the heck are you supposed to get the radiator cap off? Finally, I HATE the cold-looking brushed stainless steel interior trim. Yech.

transmission and catalytic system : disaster ,
By voichita pocol

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

nissan auto and dealers should apologize for this sorry vehicle and fix it for free. a massive recall shell take place

Should have kept previous car
By Angela

2003 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Cheap leather or pleather, loud, not a smooth ride, parts on inside cheap and falling off. Had several nissan before this and this was the worst decision to purchase this car brand new. I feel cheated in the worst way. Miss my other car!

2003 Murano SE Excellent, Comfortable and Reliable
By DANZ

2003 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

"I bought this vehicle USED and it has turned out to be a very nice vehicle to drive, I commute 210 miles a day to work and this vehicle makes the trip with ease at 70 mph and uses just over a quarter of a tank to make the trip. Handles turns nicely, 2WD version, The Café Latte interior looks great and is very quiet and comfortable inside, but the FM radio gets bad in the mountainous regions. I had to replace the passenger side view mirror, the glass only. I had to take to the dealer because the memory needed to be flashed and I had to replace the three original catalytic converters at 210,000 miles and the Murano now has 236,000 plus miles on it and still going Strong. All in all I like my Nissan Murano very much. "

Love My Murano
By Champagne Taste

2003 Nissan Murano SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)