Used 2009 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 139 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Power needs RWD or AWD
By jolros

2009 Nissan Maxima 3.5 S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I've owned the basic, basic Maxima a year now. Great power. Need to merge on the freeway? no problem it'll suck everyone to the seat. Any pothole or uneven surface though will pull the car in the direction you're steering with the torque. I didn't get the 19" rims and regret it. It doesn't handle like my IS250, but will smoke it at any speed. Needs AWD or RWD, but nice and roomy, where my IS250 has a huge bump for the drive train. Get the high intensity lights too, I can't tell if my lights are on. I wish this car had half the turning radius of my IS250 which can u-turn in like 1 lane vs. 3 lanes for the Maxima. All in all, very pleased. 0-60 in 6.2sec by just mashing the gas. Its fun.

Down shifting in a turn and accelerating smoothly without jump of an auto transmission. Trunk can fit two of my son's 16" bicycles and more. Cockpit is nice. Keyless. No problems with CVT, but Nissan extended the warranty on it.

Panic button on remote needs to be hidden a little better or smaller, it goes off in my pocket a lot at home. Trunk latch works fine, but is loud and clanky. Tighten turning radius. Cup holders and power outlet for the back seat (maybe its an upgrade). For safety, high intensity lights are a must.

Great Car, BUT...
By nmorrisasu

2009 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I’ve owned many Maximas and all were good cars (94, 97, 98, 2002). But this one is the best Maxima yet! However, with all that there is a down side with this car. As was the case with my old 2002 MAX, this one seems not to have a good sense of direction. The steering doesn’t stay straight and tends to wonder around left-right based on the road crown and irregularities. There was also a strong pull to the right that was partially fixed by the dealer swapping the wheels from left to right sides. If I knew that the 09 would have a similar steering issues as my old 2002, I would have gone for a different car. Other than that, I have no complaint so far (5K miles).

1. Great engine. 2. Nav 3. XM radio 4. Comfortable seats 5. Fast, but the #1 implies that 6. Paddle shifters 7. Great iPod integration 8. Good gas mileage for a 290HP car

1. Fix the imprecise steering, torque steer. 2. Add folding back seats to the sports package model. 3. Support iPod video playback 4. Fix sunroof noise (when open). The 2002 model had a much quieter sunroof.

Great Car; large engine=a bit lower mpg
By baroja

2009 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This is my third Max; had the first one in 1989, and 2000. Love Consumer Reports, but they are dead wrong complaining about light steering at low speeds. THAT is one of the features that enables this car to maneuver easily. Driving around town,however, I am only getting about 19.5 (avg of -30 mph). Started to go cheap, but when compared, the features of the SV far outweigh the S for the $. Had a 2006 VW Passat Sports6, and while the Max doesn't drive as tight as that, it is far more comfy, and I don't anticipate living at the dealer's service facility for minor stuff that = a thousand cuts.

All features work as advertised; this car drives effortlessly, with very little body lean, and great ride quality.

The flared out hood in the front can take getting used to when parking; it is wider in front and back than in middle; but getting used to it.

HOT HOT HOT!!
By Nor'-easter

2009 Nissan Maxima 3.5 S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I waited a year to write my review and I still love this car. It is fast, it corners, and it just wants to go!! It's like an anxious race horse at the starting gate. If you want to change lanes on the freeway - this car will throw you back in the seat from any speed. Most professional reviews fail to note that Nissan designs and builds race cars. I suspect most of the professional reviewers have not even driven this car. If you are any kind of a race enthusiast then you will not find a better ride for the money. It is just plain fun to drive.

CVT, FWD, Responsiveness, handling, sleek, sound system

Rear struts (bottom out occasionally), AWD, Reasonably priced option pkgs,

4th Maxima is the Charm!
By TMINJ

2009 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This 2009 is my 4th Maxima, (94,99 and 03) and by far the best. Have it for 6 months now. Handling is nice and the looks it gets are amazing as Maxima’s are not sold in Germany. Love the body lines and hood. Was not happy with the design of the 04-08 models so this one really grew on me. I actually prefer driving this car daily as opposed to my 2008 335I convertible. Double moonroof is excellent, but it will make some noises when turning sharp out of the driveway. Stereo, and interior comfort are excellent. Some difficulties seeing the back end of the car. Silver with Black Leather is a nice combination. Looking forward to my 5th Maxima in a few years. Nissan did this one right.

Stereo, interior comfort, exhaust note, heated and AC driver seat is awesome. Lots of bells and whistles for the price. Compared to a 3 series, which I also own, and this one wins hands down for an every day driver. I have owned lots of cars and this one is by far up there on my favorites list!

Fuel economy could be a little better, guess that is why there is a big gas tank. Blinkers are too far from the steering wheel due to paddle shifters. Wish it had the touch three blink blinkers like the Euro cars have. Other than that... Nissan did this car right!