Used 2009 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 139 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Good value, fun car
By realhawker

2009 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I was leaving my 2007 9-3 Saab, looking for something with more rear room, bigger trunk and a little more tech features. Looked at the Infiniti G37xS sedan, which was everything I wanted, except that I really wasn't in love with its exterior looks, and the rear seat was not that much roomier than my Saab. I also looked at the Hyundai Genesis, which was very interesting, but I just wasn't a fan of the center console, the pricing I was getting and the fact that I would be telling people I had a Hyundai for $500 a month. Maxima ended up being the best balance, although I would have preferred the 7sp and extra horsepower of the G37

Dual sunroof, this is not surprisingly on of my favorite features. I have 2 young kids who sit in the backseat, and the glass room really brightens up the interior. Front seat design makes it feel like there is more rear room, and the lack of a "hump" in the middle. MPG is good, given pwr

Change interior lighting color, I am NOT a fan of amber - I had an Altima with the same scheme back in 04'-07' Offer Spoiler and 19" wheels on SV premium?

Alternator Problems
By LFOS

2009 Nissan Maxima 3.5 S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Actually a great car, EXCEPT it just quit in the middle of a parkway, battery light came on and car stopped. Towed to dealer, can't find anything,replaced battery. Two days later car quits again, this time a referburshed alternator put on, (note 8K miles on a 2009), also replaced wiring harness for alternator with after market, not listed on repair order because they purchased seperately, to wait for a new one from Nissan would take 3 days, THEY didn't want to wait, not me! Now I'm driving a car with 8K and a used alternator and who knows wiring harness, Still no answer on why the alternator went out and the harness burned!!I should have my head examined!!

Bluetooth, Seat a/c,paddle shifters,XM radio,handling all around

More head room for driver,put shift lever on dash and move console forward, it is too far back to open comfortably

2009 Maxima 3.5 S
By artie

2009 Nissan Maxima 3.5 S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

The time had come to part with my 2006 Mustang GT because I needed a four season driver. I looked at Altima, Malibu, Fusion, Passat and Accord. They were all great automoblies, but none of them were distinctive enough to lure me into making the move. My wife suggested I look at the Maxima. I did not think I could afford the car, but the trade/purchase numbers allowed me to get into the 3.5S and I am quite impressed with this automobile. The build quality is top notch. The engine/CVT transmission combination is smooth and powerful. I have read some negative reviews of the body style and I am surprised. The body style of this vehicle is one of the main reasons I purchased it. So far, a winner!

Engine/CVT transmission combination, Keyless entry/ignition was a great suprise! Looks, Ride, interior is ultra-quiet. Build quality. Gas mileage not bad for a large car. I am currenty averaging 26 mpg.

Power mirror adjustment should be located on the drivers door instead of the dash. Base S model should include fog lights.

Amazing changes for 2009
By fletcher1

2009 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This is a vehicle on par with any Lexus, Infinity, BMW, or Mercedes. The price makes it a better option than any of the latter. It is extremely impressive from both a technology and performance perspective.I purchased an SV with the technology package and I now have a vehicle with better integrated technology than cars which cost up to $20,000 more. Why lease for prestige when you can own the real thing. This car could be the next Nissan classic along with the Z cars. Test drive one and you will get rid of your current so called "Luxury" car. Smooth acceleration, which blows the doors off of sports cars, while riding in the lap of luxury and technology is a winning combination.

I enjoy the ease of use for all technology systems. The I-Pod integration is beyond belief. The responsive VQ 3.5 V-6 at 290hp combined with CVT is light years beyond the competition. The bluetooth navigation and phone integration is an outstanding enhancement.

The ride is beautiful, but I think that Nissan could increase the horsepower to 350 to leverage optimal torque and get the more performance out of the CVT. I beleive it already beats the competition in the current cofiguration but the suggested changes will really make it the four-door sports car.

Sloppy workmanship
By Sadru Dharamsy

2009 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Just picked up our new Maxima 3.5 SV. Looks gorgeous and rides pretty well. We arrived home and noticed the passenger side window malfunctioning (unusual rattling noise). We opted for the tech package also, and that should have included a compact flsh drive. The cover to the flash drive is jammed solid and won't come. We have to drive 150 miles again and take it to the dealership to have it fixed. Will not pay that kind of money for such sloppy workmanship and less than optimum dealership that does not check the car put prior to selling. Who knows what other surprises are awaiting.

Try Infiniti G37 - I have 2 of them and they are performing really well. Price-wise, the small difference is worth it.