Used 2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 139 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

are you kidding me?
By p. morris

2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This car is awesome. I have had this car for exactly one day. I don't need more to write this review. I know something about cars; have owned and driven mercedes, audi, bmw, infinity, and most of the rest. They do not touch this car. It is beautiful, inside and out (subjective of course). Feels like a tank but drives like (or better than) the 330 I traded up from for about 1/2 the price. All the bells and whistles. Looks and feels great. I don't even care if gas mileage is not great. Please don't buy this car. I want exclusivity on the roads.

looks and performance.

none

Worth the Money!
By Keith

2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I traded in my 04 Maxima SL for an premium SV with Tech. The only two things I hated about my 04 was the turning radius and heated seats. The 09 has been greatly improved. I compared this vehicle to a VW CC and Acura TL. The features, looks, and price blew the other two away. Fantastic interior and a quiet ride. The voice activation works great. I never have to repeat myself. Took a while to figure out that I can't hop on the gas and expect to get great gas mileage. Average 22 around the city. Haven't taken it on a long trip yet, but hopeful it will meet the 26 mpg it boasts for highway mileage. I had no problems with my 04 after 115000 miles and I am hoping for the same with this

Nav, touch screen, ipod connectivity, glass roof, backup camera, seats (very comfortable), turn signals on side view mirrors, led tail lights, push button start

trunk tough to close, better gas mileage

Second Maxima
By bobbyp

2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I owned a loaded 2003 Maxima SE and liked the car very much. When it hit 100k, I decided it was time to replace it (that is normally my practice). I drove the Hyundai Genesis, but found it more of a luxury car, rather than sport sedan. I also drove the Infiniti G35 and loved the way it drove but found the back seat a little smallish compared to the Maxima and had trouble getting past the $35k price ($40k sticker). The new Maxima rides and drives very nicely, but front wheel drive definitely removes it from a true sports car driving experience. I am also very disappointed that the SV does not include satelite radio in the Bose system.

Seats are much more comfortable than the prior model. Thigh extender helps for taller folks.

Come on Nissan - you should be able to get a satelite radio on your "up model" without buying a $2k package. And could you make it run on regular gas?

Awesome car for a GREAT price
By Lucas JP

2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I purchased a new 09 Maxima after much research and lots of time looking and driving a few other cars. When I first decided to buy a new car, my wife recommended a MAX because she has an 08 - Well, they are COMPLETELY different. This car feels roomier inside and even drives bigger. The exteriors also look separate. Overall - if you want a car in this price range just go DRIVE a MAX and you'll end up taking one home. The tech features as well make it a hard car to pass by. Overall it's an awesome car and I wouldn't want any other vehicle in it's class...possibly even in a few classes above it.

The Ipod interface, comfy seats, fun to hold steering wheel, spaciousness of the cabin.

The only problem I've seen so far has been this issue with the radio. Every so often, when I am first starting out driving and place the car in gear, it will switch the radio to the ipod and be blank - no music. Dealer said it's a known issue and nothing they can do about it.

The Best Maxima Yet
By moondan1

2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have been leasing new Maximas every 3 years since 1996 (except for 2006 when I opted for the V6 Altima) and the 2009 SV is the best one yet. For the money, it is the best FWD sports sedan available. It is extremely powerful, the CVT is very smooth (although opting to drive in the "S" or "Manual" modes allows you to feel as though the engine is shifting gears), and provides a nice balance between sporty handling and comfort. Based on Edmunds' review (which I am in complete agreement with), I did not get the Sport package and am perfectly happy without it. I have been disappointed with Nissan's treatment of the Maxima these past few years, but am thrilled that for 2009 they nailed it!

Exterior styling (it's a head turner), powerful engine, handling, and interior comfort.

The parking brake should be less prominent as it tends to get in my way.