Used 2006 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 122 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Inherent transmission problem with '06 Maxima
By jaware

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

As others have stated - there is an inherent transmission problem with the '06 Maxima and other years as well.
At 62k miles my transmission started to slip and the car jerked when shifting.
I brought my car to a local transmission shop and they told me this is a common problem with Nissan vehicles.
On their suggestion, I opened a case with Nissan customer affairs.
They instructed me to bring it to the dealership for inspection and guess what?
My car needs a new valve body and transmission for an estimated cost of $6,000 - a gross over estimate!
Nissan contacted me to say they would offer no assistance.
Everyone with a similar problem must join the class action suit underway!

Nothing - will never ever own another Nissan and will tell everyone I know to never consider them; if you own one now, sell before inherent problems surface!

Build a transmission that will last more than 62k miles - if not, stand by your customers and do the right thing!

2006 Nissa Maxima-Disappointment, Costly
By bmcgavin

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

So, like everyone else that seems to be writing reviews, my 2006 Maxima had transmission issues. I'll start at the beginning (which wasn't long ago). I bought the car for $12,000 from a used car dealership less than six months ago with 117,000 miles. I loved the car. It was one of the nicest cars I ever bought. I also bought a 2002 Altima brand new (loved it).

Two weeks ago the transmission started slipping between 2 and 3rd gear and it would downshift when I let up on the gas. Also, the Service Engine Soon light came on. Took it in and low and behold, Transmission was all but gone and the catalytic converter was needing replaced. Out of luck the dealer told me. Traded for a 2010 Chev Impa

Sunroof, Leather seats, great look, bluetooth hook up.

Transmission, Transmission, Transmission

2006 Nissan Maxima Tranny Problem -- NOT TRANSMISSION
By jjmarie97

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2006 Maxima with 58K miles on it.
Like many others, I started noticing gear shifting (auto trans) at about 98K miles, so I took it to the dealership that honored the warranty before it expired.
They recommended I try a transmission flush, before the warranty company comes back and says I neglected to service my vehicle and refuses to pay for the transmission replacement.
Which I did and it DID NOT fix the issues I was having (high RPM rev at random speeds, car slamming into gear, jarring forward out of 1st & reverse).
Months passed and my car was in and out of the dealership shop trying one thing or another to resolve the problem.
Eventually my warranty expired and surprise….I was on my own with repair cost!
After several near death experiences due to the jarring and loss of acceleration at high rates of speed….I called a transmission shop that was recommended to me.
Within 2 minutes of explaining the issues, he said “it’s not your transmission….it’s the Valve Body”.
He explained to me that the transmissions are pretty solid (used in several models) and that the valve body is the “electronic brain” of the transmission.
Even if you replace the transmission (not rebuild it), it will mostly continue to do the same things, since you never fixed the “electronic brain”.

So speaking from experience in dealing with the same problems with my 2006 Maxima that many, many others have and are dealing with…DO NOT replace or rebuild your transmission and waste $5000 before you try the least expensive and most likely the cause of the issues (VALVE BODY), for $1500.00!!


Size and comfort of vehicle

#1 Improvement: Headlamp cost & accessibility (replacing one is ridiculously hard & expensive)

NIGHTMARE!
By ncjenn

A week after buying this car in July '12, I took it back, since it had been
driving badly.
After about 15 minutes of driving, the engine would rev to over 4k RPM's and then jerk hard,even slamming me back into my seat.
When it did it for my husband, he insisted there was definitely a problem with the tranny.
Not slipping, but rather shifting hard. My dealer waited for Nissan to respond, and of course, Nissan refused to participate.
So when my dealer offered to put in a re-built tranny, it also turned out to be bad.
Now waiting on Nissan rep to come investigate.
Disgusted that Nissan makes a car and only stands behind it for a few years.
I now wish they would stand in front of it!

I love absolutely everything about the car, EXCEPT the bad transmission! I was disgusted to find that this has been a common problem for the '06 Maximas and that Nissan will not participate in any form of repair or even recall. It's a terrifyingly dangerous malfunction! We bought the car to have a more reliable vehicle for our 16 Y/O son to drive, and there is NO way I could ever let him drive it after how the transmission acts! Reading others' reviews and seeing that it has caused accidents, I could never forgive myself if he were involved in an accident driving this car!

Nissan needs to stand behind every aspect of every vehicle they produce! Not just the brand new ones! If they don't do something to redeem themselves after this, I will never own another Nissan!

DON'T BUY
By antonioevans12

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Do not buy this car unless you have thousands of dollars for a transmission! It drives fine, until the car really warms up, then of to jerking it goes. The longer you drive the worse it gets. Never drive this car in stop-n-go traffic, you are guaranteed an accident. I know it's stylish and sexy but please stay away.

My favorite feature is the acceleration.

New, higher quality transmission.