Used 2005 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 266 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Don't buy any Maxima between 04-06.
By VKMaxima

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our car in Nov.of 2008. The car ran beautifully for about a year. Then around mid 2009 the car began jerking. The jerks became more and more violent as time progressed. We then had it checked by Nissan, but it was too late for the power-train warranty. Thankfully we purchased the CarMax Ext'd. warranty. Had the job done by AAMCO,and about two months later the problem arose again. They then replaced the valve-body,and its now running "better", but not like before. I truly love my Maxima,but I feel Nissan has neglected many of their customers. I just wished that Nissan took some responsibility for their actions. Overall it is a GREAT car. The 07-08 is a much better choice.

The looks, style, power tilt/telescoping wheel, Xenon lights, power folding mirrors, seat memory w/remote feature, PERFORMANCE!, heated seats, Bose system, fuel economy is pretty good for a V6.

TRANSMISSION, turning radius, road noise. But I mostly would suggest the transmission,I feel it is the most important improvement. Overall it's a great car.

Very unhappy
By VERY UNHAPPY

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my maxima for quite some time now and I'm just experiencing the problems. I now have to replace my transmission, which seems to be a common problem with this car. And the transmission is very expensive. We are trying to find a cheaper route than the 4,000 price the transmission company is charging. But before the transmission I didn't have any problems. I think its quite unfair that EVERYONE is having the same problem with their car. That means its a problem in the manufacturing of this vehicle..And to think I was going to consider getting another maxima! I dont think so! not a good buy!

Bose radio system

something needs to be done about this transmission issue!

Our Maxima has been AWESOME!
By Wicksy

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It is sad to see all the issues some are having with their Maxima's. Ours has been problem free and we hope this continues. If the new one wasn't so expensive we would look at upgrading. Great car, and a great value.

Bose Stereo, Exterior, and the large cabin as both my wife and I are 6'+

Just what they have done with the new one, make it a true 4 dr sports car.

Don't buy a Maxima!
By don'tdoit

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Like many others, my 2005 Nissan Maxima jerks when I put it into drive or reverse! There is a 3 second delay then it jerks. It happens when I am sitting at a light or have my car running then I put the car in drive from 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. When I am driving it's so bad I cannot sip my coffee. Feels as though the engine is going to fall out! Nissan refuses to recall this issue and fix the problem. After reading many complaints, I guess I should feel a little fortunate that this has happened to me at 120,000 miles instead of the average 80,000. I would not recommend this car at all to anyone!!!

Great radio (wow huh)

Everything from the touchy pedal, to the few a/c vents! Especially the transmission!

Don't buy