Used 2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 680 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Great Car
By efy

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car in March of 2010, with 85,000 miles; it now has 96,000, after only 5 months. So far, it has been a very reliable, roomy, and comfortable family car. We average around 24.5 mpg. On a recent 300-mile trip, I averaged 31.2 mpg with luggage and a passenger. The front seats are comfortable, but the seat backs are shaped oddly, and can become annoying. The back seat is huge, and is more comfortable than the front. It is very enjoyable to drive, with lots of power, engaging handling, and a firm yet compliant ride. It is quiet inside, with only minor road noise. The BOSE sound system sounds great, and the radio display is excellent. I would highly recommend this car to anyone.

Handling, ride, room, power, smooth and willing engine, smooth-shifting transmission, fuel economy, heated seats, radio display, rear seats, large trunk without intrusive hinges, styling, Xenon headlamps, do I have all day?

The back of the front seats are supportive up to the middle of the back, then they run off and leave you. What's up with that? Torque steer is apparent, but manageable. Visibility to the rear isn't great; style trumps function here, which isn't always a bad thing. The 12V outlets are hidden!

Beautiful Junk
By ScottieG

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Max privately just after the ABS sensors and actuator were replaced @ Lancaster Nissan. 14,000mi later, I needed the very same work done by the same dealer. I refuse. I have had other items go bad @ a couple $100 here and a couple $100 there. The car is beautiful but full of knocking noises. The car is uncomfortable because I sit on the seats instead of in them. I owned a 93' Altima & a 96' Max. Both were of a much better quality than this car. I owned a Buick between the two Maximas & will go back when I can get rid of this car. I bought my 2004 Max based on a good reputation. I will never buy another Nissan. -ScottieG

The car is beautiful. I love the styling and performance.

Build a car with less bells and whistles, that looks good and is maintenance free. Nissan should be more than just a good/fast engine. It used to be quality over quantity.

Luv My Max
By TCross

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

ok after reading some of the other reviews i am trying to figure out what did they do wrong to make there maxima give them so much trouble. I have had my maxima since it was brand new back in 04 and i have not had the 1st problem. I will live by Nissan and say that they have a great car on there hands. I love my maxima and i am currently working with my dealer now to get in a 2010 maxima. word of advise if you take care of your car your car will take care of you. so to the people who gave this wonderful car a bad review take care of your car and you will not have problems out of it

the comfort, speed, fun to drive factor, fuel economy on the highway

none in my opinion

Best car i've owned so far
By Pukestorm82

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my car exactly 1 year ago with 72k miles, now it has 90k and have had no problems at all besides general maintenance. After reading all the bad reviews about transmission problems I bought a 3 year extended warranty and have yet to use it.

Acceleration, style, comfort

wish i had a 6 speed instead of 5 speed.

Worst car I've owned
By Eric

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the 3rd and last Maxima I will own. The car is/was beautiful and had all the perks, leather, heated seats, sunroof, heated steering wheel, Bose. I always got compliments on what a good looking car that is was. But that was it. During the 5 years of owner ship, replaced brakes 3 times, rotors twice, 3 wheel bearings, 1 steering knuckle, AC system had a leak at factory fitting, the rear end could not be aligned and ate tires every few months, and the transmission started to go (Google it). I hear many of the same complaints from this $30k+ car. Got to the point that I did not enjoy driving it because I was worried of what would go wrong next. Now I drive a 2009 Hyundai Sonata that I love!

Power, looks and Power.

reliability, and back the faulty transmission that is a common problem.