Used 2004 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 681 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Very Poor Quality Vehicle
By Mike S.

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I absolutely will never, ever buy Nissan products again. The issues with this car are innumerable but I'll try and include them in order of decreasing cost to fix: New transmission (other complaints on this site) @ 70K miles, new paint job due to defective black paint that lasted only 3 years, new front struts at 65K miles, new front bearings @ 60K miles, front wheel shimmy is recurring issue since day 1, front headlamps are not clear due to sun after 4 years. The front turning radius is that of an 18-wheeler.

It looks nice on the showroom floor. Just don't drive it off the showroom floor.

Nissan does not stand behind their vehicles. Nissan needs a reliability improvement program. Transmission, paint, suspension. The design team should be embarrassed. The quality is awful.

Love my Maxima
By Helen

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third Nissan and I've loved them all. I bought this car new and find it totally reliable and wonderful to drive. I've had no problems with the performance or the quality of the vehicle. I've replaced nothing and my interior still looks great. The only negative thing I have to say about it is the turning radius is too wide.

The braking system is excellent. I also love the speed and the smooth transmission.

Improve the turning radius

Best Car I've EVER owned
By TexasGypsie

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After reading the bad reviews, I had to weigh in on how pleased I am with my Maxima. I'm the original owner and have 112,000 miles on it. It has been the perfect car. I've had great reliability, smooth ride, excellent gas mileage and comfortable interior. I love my heated seats, excellent sound system, roomy interior and large truck. This car has not disappointed me and I'm sure I'll be looking to Nissan for my next car!

Xenon headlights, automatic garage opener on rear view mirror, heated seats, controls on steering wheel, heated steering wheel. Smooth ride and excellent acceleration when passing.

Turning radius isn't good and poor rear visibility.

Not Up to Par
By Pat

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car is not up to par for the cost. New was well over $30,000. I have had brake problems, the CD player skips, the a/c has stopped all together, and now it is making a knocking noise. I will be getting rid of it because I do not want to sink more money in it. It is a shame that Nissan did not pay as much attention to the Maxima as the Altima. If I had it to do over again I would have saved and bought the Altima. Now I will never buy another Nissan, i don't care what they are selling.

Trunk size and heated seats

The interior looks cheap. Never do so many upgrades on the lower model Altima, to the point where the Altima outpaces the top of the line Maxima. Bad corporate move.

Nissan, a great car!
By pat

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was very surprised by some of the negative reviews I read because this has not been my experience at all. I have never had any problems with the car itself and love driving it and riding in it. It has beautiful styling, rides very comfortably, and has great power which is so important in metropolitan areas where one must accelerate on to highways.Fuel economy on the highway can go as high as 32 mpg with correct fuel but is lower around town 21 mpg .

The only problem I have had is with the CD player.