Used 2004 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 681 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Nissan Maxima Brakes, ABS, Floorboards, Sunroof, Nissan Corporate, Faulkner Harrisburg, Star Nissan Greensburg
By lilliasea

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a 2004 Nissan Maxima after extensive research as a left over in January 2005. The car was garaged 95% of the time and serviced by the dealership until the warranty expired.
Traveling from South Carolina to Pennsylvania, the ABS and Brake lights illuminated. Standard brakes were still operational subsequently I drove the car to the Faulkner dealership in Harrisburg. Here the mechanics determined there was a fault code indicating an entire ABS replacement. They also found rust on the floorboards under the front wheel wells. Add this to a sunroof motor failure just days prior to the ABS brakes failing.
Stranded in Harrisburg I did a little research and quickly identified a TSB on Maxima brakes. Nissan owners posted on this subject frequently as well as rust under the floorboards and sunroof failure. I shared my findings with the dealership when they called to announce the nearly 5K in repairs needed for the Maxima.
The Faulkner dealership then directed me to call the Nissan Corporate Customer Assistance. I explained the situation and that the car was indeed 8 years old but had merely 60K miles most of which were highway. The interview process was consistent from the dealership to the customer service representative to the final mediator. I realized I was repeating information on the car for three days. The global narrative included;
• The car received regular maintenance from the Star Nissan Dealership (I would not recommend this dealership)
• The Star Nissan Group sold and maintenanced the car until warranty expiration.
• The Star Nissan mechanics failed to notice any of these issues even though they had the car on the rack for 10 days repairing the air conditioning just five months prior.
• I personally detailed the car four to five times a year—washed the undercarriage as well.
The day before Thanksgiving the corporate mediator, Glenda, called to announce Nissan would not be providing any repair assistance.
Unfortunately, I was also very ill and lacked the energy to pursue the matter. It was essential to repair the brakes so I could make it home and get to a doctor.
It is important to know that I loved this car. I selected every option and waited until I found a black on black fully loaded Maxima. This car was serviced more than any other vehicle I have owned. From the 261 lb/sqft torque to the responsive engine this car made me happy…..until it didn’t.
As it turns out, we had a dysfunctional relationship. I gave and gave and Nissan left me sitting. If you have read this and still purchase a Nissan and especially a Maxima remember you were warned.

Worse Investment of my life!
By syed786

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Worse car I've ever owned. Paint is fading, chrome is chipping off the front grill, I've only owned this car for about 12 days, and already had to replace the clutch(which din't help with fading or going to the floor), water pump, radiator, hose, and head gasket. I had the car inspected 2nd day I had it and I was told it was flawless. Performance is poor, there's no such thing like fuel economy in this car, no oil leak but still have to add oil every week, replaced two rear tires already, one of the rims bent already...Do I need to say more?
Worse car I've ever owned in my life.
I wish I can take Nissan to court for these faulty factory defects

Better Cd player, better performance parts, longer lasting materials...just change everything about this car.

2004 Maxima transmission problems
By thecuda

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2004 Nissan Maxima with the serious transmission problems, driver’s side window motor and one motor used to control the driver side power seat is out. We have been owners of Nissans for more than 22 years. At one time all of my children’s (3) has a Nissan. We will switch to another brand and never own a Maxima again. My daughter had the same problem with her 2004 Murano.

Power and performance.

They know of the transmission problems.

Big Letdown
By irisp

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 1994 Nissan Maxima for 10 years with minimum problems,then got the 2004 and it has been a headache ever since. Got it in 2004 and by 2009 the transmission went out!The front end has every problem in the book.Struts,
rack and pinion,shocks,..you name it it's bad.I get new tires every 2 years,no matter what I have done it still sucks.Corporate will not help.Has to be the worst car ever!The CD player won't play unless you are sitting still,the power windows get stuck,just a horrible car. I will NEVER buy another Nissan.

It looks good but that is all.

They should have recalled all of them.

Nissan Maxima
By kirsten_046

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was so excited when I bought this car I've always had a Nissan and they never let me down. I loved the double sun roof and the previous owner had "tricked" it out so it was all fancy. I bought it with 130,000 miles on it which was quite a bit but it was running well! But then after about 20,000 miles the key kept getting stuck in the ignition, the CD player skips everything and cuts out, takes a few times to actually start the car and now it has trouble switching gears AND I was driving a few days ago and it totally turned on in the middle of the road; steering wheel locked, gas didn't work, lights and everything went off (had to turn it off then back on again). Nissan has let me down.