Used 2003 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 217 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Fun to drive!
By DGR

2003 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car used with 45,000 miles on it last year. City mileage is in the low 20's but I get nearly 40 mpg on the highway! The car has incredible power and handles like a dream. The ride is firm but very comfortable on a long drive. The headroom in the rear is too low for my 6'1" son.

excellent engine! exceptional handling.

power seats on passanger side, door locks on passanger side (there is no key slot).

Great car
By maxdriver

2003 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I really enjoy driving this car, my only complaint is the amount of road noise that can be heard in the car.

I love the power of the vehicle.

Road noise should be eliminated.

Mediocre Maxima
By Cadjockey

2003 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I like the styling and performance ( acceleration/handling/brakes ) but the interior is sub par. I have a dash that rattles/squeaks and the seats are cheap. I don’t have the Bose stereo so I installed a sub-woofer which helps immensely. The Idler pulley bearing went out so the dealership loaned me a Lincoln LS. For the same money ( $18,000 ) I could have gotten a 2003/2002 Lincoln LS instead of the Maxima SE. I made a mistake. The Lincoln is twice the car as my 2003 Maxima SE. I am now shopping for a nice 2002/2003 Lincoln LS with low miles. My only concern is that the Nissan is probably a more dependable car than the Lincoln. I’m going to take the chance because the LS is WAY nicer

engine

put a decent interior in the Maxima. Put a decent independent suspension on the Maxima. Put a better sterio in the Maxima. Improve ride quality and reduce the noise level of the interior.

Sweet Ride.....
By Import Driver

2003 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Just got the vehicle needed somethin 2 drive to give the Spec V a rest. Max is a beautiful car rides and handles nicely. Stock stereo in my Spec V is better than stock stereo in Max (huge dissapointment opt for Bose). Ride & Handling like Spec V but a bit softer. Seats are comfortable and look of high quality. Dash materials are nice and display quality but could be softer like the Toyota Avalon's. Headlamps are beautiful and makes the Max look expensive. Love the Interior/Exterior design b/c it doesnt look like somethin u would see everywhere u go. This is our second max and hopefully will be just as reliable as the 1st and the other Nissan's that we have owned. The engine is a Top Notch...

VQ Powerplant (Powerful, quiet, refined, smooth, sound) tranny, cloth seats feel/look rich, build quality, fit & finish, quietness, steering wheel controls, auto on/off HID headlamps, reputation, reliability, fuel economy, room, ride, unique styling, Worlds Top 10 Engine Since 1995, safe car........

Stock stereo (Bose should be standard), steering wheel controls could be lid, dash and door materials look upscale but could be softer, AWD to control torque steer (Traction control should be standard), ride could be choppy @ times, hard 2 find one, turning radius is 2 wide

Not the car Nissan claims it to be
By jessefrank

2003 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

If you are looking of a performance sedan I'd look elsewhere. Not bad, but the interior build quality steered me away after owning for 2.5 years. Also all that power isn't of any use if it can't get to the road. Despite my tire choices I still lost traction not only in the winter, but durning the summer with wet roads. Roads only have to be slightly wet to lose traction especaially on take-off. Car developed a harsh ride despite not handling all that well.

3.5L V6, roominess of interior, handeling compared to other american sedans in its class

Interior build quality severely lacking, weak paint, lack of handling for the harsh ride, swap the FWD for AWD or RWD, replace the 4 speed auto, better noise reduction