Used 2003 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 217 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Reliable and fun to drive but noisy
By jojo791

2003 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I drove the SE model for almost 5 years. Much better built than my 1999 Camry. Good power and handling. The car was reliable but far from perfect. First it was one of the noisiest cars from the wind I have ever driven, wind leaked in from everywhere. Second was the 1 wheel drive. The front right tire drove the whole car. Third was the steering radius, the longest of any car made.premium unleaded is not necessary., no pinging with regular and the same gas mileage.

Power and handling

Better wind seals, tighter steering radius, better traction control. Better paint, front chips easily.

Great car, great value
By DavidG

2003 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased this car used with about 8k miles on it. New, it stickered for about $31K, but I picked it up for about $21K, a real bargain. This is a fun car. I've only had 3 problems with the car: At around 25k miles the Speed Sensitive Volume became erratic. Nissan changed out the Bose unit, it was fine for a few months and then the problem came back. They replaced the unit again and suggested if it happened again they would probably replace the amp. Both times were under warranty; no charge. No problems since. I now have about 68k miles, and a few months ago the front psgr window motor was replaced due to some sticking. That's it. This car is reliable.

Bose stereo, automatic climate control, heated seats, leather still looks almost new. Still no squeaks or rattles. Very well built, solid car. Car has great power, but replace the tires when due or the torque will spin them at every launch. Or try starting in second gear.

6th gear could be taller for better highway mileage, but at 70mph I get 29mpg. Saw 30.7mpg once. City mileage is deplorable. Stop-go gets about 17mpg. The computer consistently reads about 3.5mpg better than actual. Never use the OEM Bridgestones - dangerous in the rain. Use Mich Pilot Sport A/S.

Fun to Drive
By chrispv

2003 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned my Maxima since 2004 and it has been a great car. The car is loaded and also has a 6 speed, which is fun to drive and is fast for a family sedan. There is a lot of room in the car and trunk for my family. The car has had minimal repair work (tires, brakes, exhaust system). I've got 89k miles and the car still looks great and runs well. I've noticed a slight drop in the acceleration but that is to be expected with time. I would highly recommend this car to anyone looking.

6 speed manual, roomy, large trunk, Bose sound system, quality.

Mileage, premium gas, tires are expensive.

Best of most worlds
By Milliam

2003 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I sold Nissans for a few years and from cumulative knowledge and personal interest, this car was fit the bill among my needs. This is definitely a "driver's car"...you turn corners pretty fast only realizing it after you get passengers grabbing for stationary objects in your car. I have the SE (sports edition) and tires are a little wide (sporty) and could be better in the snow and around corners. Gas mileage on the orig. paper work says 20/26...I have been as high as 32 mpg on highways during mountain driving, speaking to the cars power and refinement. Every fault that I can possibly muster has a reason that the car was made the way it is...sport- sedan.

Heated steering wheel, Xenon HID lights, nice alloys on the SE. Bose system sounds great with Ipod while using the EQ in the Ipod. Sporty body style (for a sedan).

Turning radius could be better but the wide sporty tires are worth the sporty grip are part of the wide turning.

2003 Nissan Maxima GLE
By MrT

2003 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I really like this car. It has plenty of power, a roomy, comfortable interior, handles reasonably well, and does well in the snow. I bought this car used in 2006 with ~60k miles. It now has 95k. In that time, besides routine maintenance, I've only had to replace the interior fan assembly which started making an annoying noise shortly after I bought it. It cost approximately $400 to replace. My friend has an Xterra which had a similar problem. The previous owner had taken out the stereo system so I got whatever the dealer put in. I'm not an audiophile, but would say it's got an adequate sound system. My wife's 2006 Toyota 4- runner has a better sounding system.

The big engine pulls when I need it and does great over mountain passes without having to work too hard. Comfortable heated leather seats AND steering wheel are a nice touch. Fold down rear seats are convenient. Trunk will hold a lot.

TURNING RADIUS IS TERRIBLE!!! This is the only thing keeping me from considering another one. I've always owned smaller cars (Civic, Mustang)so that could be part of it, but my wife's 4-runner has a smaller turning radius than the Maxima. U-turns require three lanes.