Used 2002 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 311 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Mistake-imus Maximas
By David

2002 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I was a happy owner of this vehicle for just under a year. Then I took it in for its 80,000 mile check up. First they found some oil leaks. Then a few days later my radiator had a leak. Then a week later I found that my head gasket was leaking. Over $3000 in repairs later, I'm selling this money pit and going for something that with better quality parts that will last me longer. All in all, a very disappointing Nissan. BEFORE PURCHASING THIS VEHICLE...open up the hood and check out the design of the radiator: a plastic frame crimped together with the metal. You can expect to drop over $300 replacing that part in the very near future. It's a wonder the part hasn't been recalled.

Comfy interior, powerful engine, the overall look of the car

Recall the radiator design, better quality parts that will last longer. Dealership was a nightmare.

I love my 2002 Maxima
By MaxLover

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I got my Maxima over a year ago... it was roughed up by some college kid who could not afford payments. Yes it has some dents, dings and rust. It also does not have the best fuel economy but it is a fun to drive car that has a huge engine (3.5) to other comparable cars in its class... It has 255 horsepower with 246 ft-lbs torque... i had w rated tires on there... and my car ran like a new car. the engine is very strong and reliable... everything in my car is running strong... and im glad i bought this car

Engine/Performance

Needs to be more airdynamic... lower the drag coefficent... and the car will definitely run faster quicker and at the same time save on gas...

Would buy another
By Skeete G

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

The Nissan Maxima is has power beyond power. Unless you are going on a real racing track you are supplied with all the power you need out the gate. It's handling is decent and it's pick up is phenominal. I would recommend this vehicle for anyone on an average middle income budget. Performance, realiabilty and looks.

Speed, HID's and reliability

datime running lights,

Best Maxima Ever!
By Maxima #3

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Bought as certified used with 22K miles, now have 122K miles and this car is still awesome!I haven't had any major problems at all with this car. I plan to drive it well past 200K miles.

Engine power, HID lights, styling, leather seats, Bose stereo

Better turning radius, better rotors, better CD player

A mixed bag
By Cleanshot

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This car has been a mixed bag. The engine, transmission, and interior have held the test of time. It currently has 130K miles, but right around 100K it turned into a money pit. In the past 30k miles I have put close to $5K in it for weird things like a new brake system and electronic engine mounts. It's always gone to the dealer for regular maint. The worst part is the suspension. It's crap! The road is absorbed through the steering wheel and the struts always feel loose. I've also had a constant wheel shimmy that we live with. I will keep it as long as possible, but I just bought a second car Lexus ES 350. It's no performance car but I love the ride.

Interior space, engine, and transmission. The way the engine responds when you step on the gas.

Unable to update factory navigation system. High cost to maintain. Horrible ride and suspension. Too much road and wind noise. Horrible turning radius.