Used 2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 167 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

I love the Nissan Maxima!
By jrmj72

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 20th Anniversary 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was reluctant to get a Maxima because I had a Ford Mustang GT and a Chevrolet Camaro Z28 just before the Maxima. The Z28 would blow the Maxima and the Mustang away...but the Maxima has the same horsepower as my 1996 GT and it is a higher quality car. I am very glad I purchased the Maxima and Nissan now has a loyal customer...

I really like the styling of the 20th Anniversary model. It looks so much better than the other Maximas. I love the fact that you can find a Maxima with a standard/manual transmission. That was one of the main reasons I chose maxima over Acura and other similar cars. Next car: Infin G35.

Why do all car makers use those plastic headlight covers? I have had a 1990 Mustang GT and a 1997 Mazda Mx-6. Both of them had plastic headlight covers that turned yellow after a few years. Now it looks like the headlight covers on my Maxima are not as clear as glass covers would be....

This is a keeper
By CaptainD

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 20th Anniversary 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased my 2001 Nissan Maxima new and roughly four years later I am still enjoying the drive. it has a strong engine (227HP) and excellent and brakes. its transmission is the most irratating item. Its shifts are not as crisp or predictable under certanin driving conditions as I would expect in a sports-oriented sedan. It provides a high level of comfort and convenience. The only quality issue was the leather on the drivers' seat side bolster wore through from sliding across it or snagging on cell phoneThis was a $200 repair, but now it is like new. The seat is only partially covered with leather, most of it is vinyl. The Bose sound system is supurb! I am experiencing an annoying groan / squeak from dash area that I can't locate. My overall evaluation is that this ia a great vehicle for the money.

Stout motor .. great torque and quick launch

Five (six) speed auto with sport mode and AWD since this thing will light up the tires on dry pavement under a hard launch!

the good, the bad and a little ugly
By spudskier

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My 2001 Nissan Maxima is more fun than any other sedan out there. I didn't want what everyone else had, and this car is very different. Having said this, it has a poor steering radius, mediocre fuel economy, pthe aint chips easily on front. On the plus side, the car has good power and handling, ground clearance, a smooth ride, It is biga nd hard to maneuver, which is bad for downtown or tight areas. Overall the Maxima is a food family car. It is very safe and has lots of safety features.

Safety features and autodim mirror

The steering radius needs to be made MUCH tighter.

Lost Its Value
By vroom vroom

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my '01 Nissan Maxima brand-new. I have loved it up to now, it has recently gone out of warranty, and has had some problems. I had problems with the starter..etc. I also slide around in the snow, . Lving in Chicago I need to drive my husband's Jeep around. This car has good looks and a lot of power. I now have 40,000 miles on it and it is worth only $11,000. It has deprectiated very quickly. Also my friend's Lexus SUV gets better gas mileage than my Maxima.

The powerful engine and sleek look of the car.

Gas mileage, starter problems (isn't Nissan supposed to be reliable?). Better tires.

3rd Maxima No Sign of Stopping
By Nissan4ever

I have owned 3 Nissan Maximas
(88,89,01). I have had nothing but good
experiences and look forward to owning a
new one. It is my opinion that you cant
go wrong with owning one of these
vehicles, especially if you have a bit
of a lead foot like i do.

The powerful 3.0 liter V6 motor, 4 wheel disc brakes, and the Bose radio with cd changer.

Dont really dig the rear end on this model Maxima but the reliabilty and creature comforts make up for that.