Used 2001 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 169 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

nice ride
By mayur

2001 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

For my first car, I was looking for something reliable, powerful, safe, reasonably priced, and fun to drive. I decided to go with the Nissan Maxima and I have been very pleased with the car over the last couple of months. The car is built very well and is nicely appointed for a 12-17,000 used vehicle. Another thing I like about this car is the body style that sticks to the shape that is very attractive to the eye. Inside the controls are well laid out, and the BOSE system performs quite well. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a well-priced, reliable, and sporty choice for a long term vehicle. I have read many reviews and the car holds up to its rating.

very roomy nicely appointed ample power nice stereo excellent body style

-ventilated and slightly more comfortable seats. -lower road noise -fix boomy bass speaker -little more attention to trim detail

best car easily destroys the accord
By Mensur Pjetrovic

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

this car is the sickest car ive ever driven it plus i added a cold air intake which really makes the car pull off the line as if it needed more power steering and cornering is excellent driving a 2000 accord ex v6 gold (hayat) and i have to say the maxima outperforms it.

gas mileage though i slam on the gas when me and my boy race his altima and my maxima maybe i should stop lol

I love the Nissan Maxima!
By jrmj72

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 20th Anniversary 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was reluctant to get a Maxima because I had a Ford Mustang GT and a Chevrolet Camaro Z28 just before the Maxima. The Z28 would blow the Maxima and the Mustang away...but the Maxima has the same horsepower as my 1996 GT and it is a higher quality car. I am very glad I purchased the Maxima and Nissan now has a loyal customer...

I really like the styling of the 20th Anniversary model. It looks so much better than the other Maximas. I love the fact that you can find a Maxima with a standard/manual transmission. That was one of the main reasons I chose maxima over Acura and other similar cars. Next car: Infin G35.

Why do all car makers use those plastic headlight covers? I have had a 1990 Mustang GT and a 1997 Mazda Mx-6. Both of them had plastic headlight covers that turned yellow after a few years. Now it looks like the headlight covers on my Maxima are not as clear as glass covers would be....

This is a keeper
By CaptainD

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 20th Anniversary 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased my 2001 Nissan Maxima new and roughly four years later I am still enjoying the drive. it has a strong engine (227HP) and excellent and brakes. its transmission is the most irratating item. Its shifts are not as crisp or predictable under certanin driving conditions as I would expect in a sports-oriented sedan. It provides a high level of comfort and convenience. The only quality issue was the leather on the drivers' seat side bolster wore through from sliding across it or snagging on cell phoneThis was a $200 repair, but now it is like new. The seat is only partially covered with leather, most of it is vinyl. The Bose sound system is supurb! I am experiencing an annoying groan / squeak from dash area that I can't locate. My overall evaluation is that this ia a great vehicle for the money.

Stout motor .. great torque and quick launch

Five (six) speed auto with sport mode and AWD since this thing will light up the tires on dry pavement under a hard launch!

the good, the bad and a little ugly
By spudskier

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My 2001 Nissan Maxima is more fun than any other sedan out there. I didn't want what everyone else had, and this car is very different. Having said this, it has a poor steering radius, mediocre fuel economy, pthe aint chips easily on front. On the plus side, the car has good power and handling, ground clearance, a smooth ride, It is biga nd hard to maneuver, which is bad for downtown or tight areas. Overall the Maxima is a food family car. It is very safe and has lots of safety features.

Safety features and autodim mirror

The steering radius needs to be made MUCH tighter.