Used 2001 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 169 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

2001 Nissan Maxima SE
By Vman

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle "used" in 2004. I have loved the performance and styling of the Maxima. Shortly after purchase I needed a 02 sensor and a new catalytic converter. I was lucky to have purchased a pre-owned warranty that covered the problems that would have cost me approx. $1000. I also needed to replace the Bridgestone potenzas that I found to be horrible in the snow. If you plan to buy a car that has 17" rims remember that even the best all season radial tire at (225/17/93V) will be marginal in the snow. I purchased Continental Conti- touring tires at a great price and have put approx. 20K on them with no problems. The 2001 Nissan Maxima SE is a solid choice for the price.

my favorite features are the styling and power. The bose sound system is excellent for a factory car stereo minus the 8" sub on the rear deck(see below). The audio controls on the steering wheel are nice and easy to access. Traction control and heated front seats a major plus where i live!

The 02 sensor and the catalytic converter are obviously a problem. the cabin is a little noisy for my taste and the heated seats are slow to warm up. the bose sub on the rear deck is inadequate (distorts) even with audio adjustments. I bought a new dvc 8" 2Ohm sub and used the bose amp.Sounds great

2001 Maxima SE
By Jim

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

SE model has rather sporty ride but at a significant loss of comfort and refinement. Turning radius is horrible which may be partially attributable to 17" wheels. Maxima reliability has been as advertised.

Reliability and build quality.

Excellent Automobile
By Mathilde

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car has been totally reliable for my husband and me in the 2 1/2 years we have owned it, routine maintanence only, no problems whatsoever. This is the second Maxima I have owned and would definitely recommend this car as a solid, reliable and fun vehicle to own. We have two children and they fit in the back just fine, a little tight with two carseats.

Great acceleration, great handling around curves and corners. Wonderful car to drive.

Right front speaker blew out, and I don't listen to loud music.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Jane

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second Maxima. I can't say enough good about this car. It has been reliable and fun to drive. The interior and trunk are roomy, and the little conveniences like sunglass holder, spacious console box for CD's,extra backseat drink cup holder and power plug make a real difference on trips. The car's power is a big plus when merging in traffic or handling congested but fast-moving freeway driving. I have been pleasantly surprised by gas mileage.

Handling, power, great sound system (upgraded Bose in my car), roomy backseat and interior appointments.

Would be great not to have to use premium gas. Leather could be more durable. Mine has one small crack/split (not on a seam) despite good care.

A front-drive Bimmer
By David Jones

2001 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've always wanted a Maxima and finally found a great deal on a 5sp GXE. obviously the nissan V6 is well known and i can feel all 222hp and 210lbft of torque in any gear. The clutch took awhile to master and the shift throws are a bit long and notchy but the power makes shifting largely optional anyway. Interior build quality could be better in places but the overall design is just right. Interior room and fuel economy are excellent, although the latter is balanced out by the need for 91 octane fuel. Exterior design is unique, though not quite beautiful. After driving 7000 mi, the car now has 52,500 mi and has needed only a reflash of the catalytic converter (covered under warranty).

This engine is to die for. I sometimes think of excuses to run errands just so I can hear it. Style, interior room, and fuel economy are also very good, and the steering is quick and well-weighted. The dashboard vents have a unique style and the guages are paragons of clarity.

Shifter can be a bit balky and the engagement feel is just average. The brakes are prone to fading after a couple of stops. Cheap center console plastic and a few persistent rattles are annoying, and the trunk isnt very well finished. Other than rims and window tint i plan to make no modifications