Used 1999 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Best car I've owned
By Liza

1999 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2000 with 14000 miles on it. The guys at the dealership put 3000 miles on it before I bought it. When I saw it had a 5 speed 6 cylinder engine, I bought it right away. Now with 130000+ miles on it it still runs good as new, with no major problems to report. The only problem I have ever had was a sensor that needed to be replaced & routine maintenance. I just bought an SUV and I didn't have the heart to trade the Maxima in. Hopefully I'll get another 100000 miles out of it!

Stereo system. Power seats. Power sunroof. Temperature control. 5 speed stick, 6 cyl. engine ROCKS! A lot of fun to drive.

Have both of the back seats fold down flat for large items that don't fit in the trunk.

The working man's luxury car
By shamarcus

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2000 in CA with ~42k miles. Now 107k miles. Black SE model with cloth seats and sunroof being the major options. The A/C delivered cold air in the deserts of the southwest. The heater delivers heat in minus 20 degrees cold of Alaska. I did experience one ignition coil to die on me. Since I deal with a lot of stop and go traffic, I have gone through 2 sets of brakes and rotors front and back (due to size of car). Besides that, normal maintenance. I averaged 18.5 / 24 mpg city/Hwy in CA. In AK, I average 20mpg/26mpg. If I were to move back to the gulf coast, I can expect 22mpg/29mpg. Regional gas makes a difference. I plan to keep this car to over 200k miles.

The smoothness and power of the engine. The VQ engine and tranny is proven in the nissan family. I have power for mountain passing on steep grades. Homelink buttons. Quietness of the interior. The biggest and most powerful affordable Japanese midsize sedan. Near luxury ride quality. Fog lights.

A snow mode for the transmission. It's easy to spin the wheels on the ice roads of Alaksa. Full size spare. NISMO upgrade products for this generation of maxima. Overall, I have been satisfied with my maxima.

What happened to Nissan and Quality
By Dirk

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

This is my second 4th Gen Nissan Maxima. Fun to drive in a 5 speed, a true wolf in sheep's clothing. I sold my 95 for a fully loaded 99. Since November 06, I've replaced the ignition coils ($600), alternator ($200), brake calipers ($200), a new clutch ($800), starter ($250) and NOW, gearbox/tranny work (proven factory defect) ($1000) - all in the last 6 months. The coils, tranny, and starter should at least last 10 years or the life of the vehicle. Similiar so should the alternator. This vehicle is NOT reasonably durable.

Leather. 5 Speed. Climate control. Bose stereo.

Factory components should be made with higher quality. This vehcile is worse for reliability than any domestic.

1999 Maxima GLE
By Mike

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Have had no issues with this car. Routine maintenance only. Has lots of pep, fun to drive. Has all options available on 1999 models. Moon roof. 85K miles. Very reliable.

Great Bose audio system. Leather heated seats. Automatic heat/cool, just set the temp and go.

Would like to see improved body styling. Currently a little boxy.

1999 nissan rocks
By vinnnn

1999 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Original owner. The only 2 complaints are rear caliper froze with 18,000 miles??? IGNITION COILS will go . Mine went after 4 years 3 months. 3 months after warranty. After calling around found it to be a major problem on all 1999 maximas. Beware if you buy used .

NICE RIDE No problems *except above 2