Used 1999 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Its ok
By John

1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited 4dr Sedan

I bought this vehicle used in 2003. with 43,000 miles on it. Its the SE model and it has every option in it. Very good V6 smooth till this day amazing! I have changed the brakes, tires, coils, spark plugs, alt., AC compressor, belts, and I'm probably gonna end up bringing it in again for coil wires or something with the xpark plugs because the car shakes bad when accelerating. But overall I love the car, I just gotta keep taking care of it.

V6, sunroof, leather, Bose! Quick when it wants to be and it is still quiet.

Well this part is pointless now after 10 years but... needs to handle better, better gas mileage. Other then that I'm frustrated just with having to keep changing everything on this car.

Perhaps a lemon?
By Steve Hart

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Overall this Maxima has been one of my favorite cars, but it hasn't been without some quirky mechanical defects that are just dumbfounding, including a fuel problem where I am only able to fill it up a third of a gallon at a time before it overflows. Several other issues have made me think twice about a future purchase, even though I've had a lot of fun with this car.

The interior. It is so well laid out and driver friendly. Comfort level is very high.

Give this car more low-end power.

Highly recommended for durability
By Danny

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I have always wanted this exact year. When I first purchased used. I had done all my homework and have not been disappointed since. It is the most reliable car so far that I have owned. For a v6 it is quite responsive. Like any car it has had some minor mechanical work but if you change your oil regularly and do its scheduled upkeep it will give you years of satisfaction. I currently have 145000 kms and bought it with 88000 kms. The engine on this car is solid. it corners on rails and is a treat on the highway. The seats are comfortable. Buy it!!

Handling, engine, bose sound system, reliable!!! 5 star rims look sharp.

I love this car!
By Cat

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car since early 1999, I bought it with only 35 miles on it and I now have 125000, it's been the most reliable car I have ever owned.

Climate control, side mirror defoggers, heated seats, Bose sound system.

Not so reliable.
By esteband67

1999 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I got this vehicle three and half years ago and take very good care of it but it doesn't seem to appreciate it. In the short time I've owned it I've had a computer chip problem $500 at the dealer and engine coils had to be replaced $1100 at the dealer. Car has only 53000 miles so none of this should go wrong. I've replaced brake pads twice. Also gets out of alignment a lot. Needs bearings but I can't afford it right now after spending $1100 yesterday. I made a bad decision with a Nissan. Never again.

For a 4 door sedan drives nice and has good power and handling.

Need to be more reliable. Some wind noise on the freeway. A/C needs to be cooler.