Used 1999 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Japanese BMW
By PLUMMAN

1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited 4dr Sedan

Mating the 5-speed with the V-6 engine brings this car to life. I have only hit the rev limiter once, but what fun! This car is fun on the mountain roads and loves to rev. The suspension is a little soft, but comfy. I installed aftermarket spring and shocks. I got mine used with 54k and now it is pushing 120k with no major issues. Runs best on high test gas and gets the best mileage with high test. I get 24 overall. If you can keep the speed to 60-65, doubtful, it will return over 30mpg. Best car I've ever owned. Still solid after 120k.

Engine and 5 speed and handling after installing stiffer springs and shocks

none very balanced, maybe larger cupholders

Wow! I love my Maxima
By Jon Strand

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at 83K miles. After about a year and a half it now has 120K miles. This car is amazing and I love it to death. Reliability is fantastic as I have had virtually no maintenance costs w/the exception of oil changes, etc. I get a lot of compliments about how smooth the ride is. Some people dislike the styling of these Maxima's, but I love the car inside and out. It is fully loaded w/every option but traction control and everything still works perfectly and in tip top shape, despite being a 6 year old car. This is the best car buying decision I have made and it's a blast to drive. I plan to keep my Maxima until at least 200K miles, when I will likely go buy a new one.

Extremely smooth engine and tranny (5- speed manual). Great ride but still has a nice sporty feel. Average 22 MPG each tank w/120K miles. Luxury features are nice. Fantastic build quality...very solid car.

None, there is nothing wrong with this car. I would drive it cross country in a heartbeat.

Original Owner
By John

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

While the initial experience with the dealership has never been forgotten, the car has been very good to me. Good acceleration, and fun to drive. 52,000 miles and have changed tyres and oil... and nothing else (no brake pads, belts, O2 sensors, coils etc). The car does get a workout though. Owning a Nissan I keep up with www.Nissan.com, and this website tells you a lot about the company. I have not been tempted to buy a new model; my 1999 model will last me a long time I believe.

Engine and stereo; most of all the reliability.

Trunk release and cruise control buttons in wrong locations, and console hurts my right leg (noticeable on longer trips). Think all of this was cured with the 2000 model? The auto. trans. has always seemed rough, and have always anticipated an expensive problem, but again, no problems so far.......

'99 nissan maxima GLE
By mannyp

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

After 6 yrs of tough desert driving this car still has it. Fun to drive, great acceleration, and not a single problem thus far. Drives like the day i drove it off the lot.

I just love the acceleration and the great air conditioner!

I don't like where the trunk release is positioned. It's very close to your thigh and if you have something in your pocket you're likely to release the trunk while you're driving.

O2 sensors are a pain
By mark

1999 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Bought it in 02 when it came off a lease. I put new BF Goodrich tractions on last year. Even at 6 years old, its fun to toss around. The standard 120 watt stereo(made by Clarion for Nissan) is nowhere near the BOSE but is OK. Dealer service was great. Glad I bought the extended warranty as I've replaced two O2 sesors and need a third already.

Car handles great and has get up and go whenever you need it. . .just tap 3rd gear at 50 mph when you have to pass someone with little time or space on your side!

Gas mileage could be better. Runs kinda rough on regular and I'm too cheap these days to put high test in at every fill up.