Used 1996 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 116 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Still going strong
By UNT84

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my '96 Maxima SE to take to college with me. It was very low mileage and had only 59k miles at 7 yrs old. Now, two years later, it has 114k on it and is still as good as it was when I bought it. I love the leather seats, sunroof, and esp. the Bose audio system. Ordinarily, it gets between 22- 25 miles per gallon and that's a combination of highway and city driving. The only things I would possibly change are the quality of the paint (mine is dark green) and I do wish that it had a manual transmission. It's an awesome car though, and more than likely I will have it until it dies.

Terrific value and FUN
By rob

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Bought new in late '96 and have enjoyed this car every day I drive it! Smooth and powerful engine, quiet, decent gas mileage ~24 mpg, reliable and fun to drive. What more could you ask for? Also, very cheap to maintain as it has a timing CHAIN not belt. I feel that these older models had better quality materials than subsequent years, as Nissan ran into trouble not long afterwards and lowered material quality to cut costs. I know because the wife has an '00 Maxima and the interior materials used are of a lower quality.

Fun to drive, reliable, cheap to operate, decent MPG

96 maxima
By DERRICK

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Never had any problems rides like a charm. The 96 could use a few more horses. Well comparing to the news cars, however in 1996 it was excellent. The only thing is lack of cup holders nothing major.Nothing I can really complain about

nice leather seats, quiet engine, smooth exceleration, nice bose system

the long life of my Maxima
By Helen Bean

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I drive my Maxima no less than 500 miles a day to work and back. I have had to replace only the basics, tires, brakes and muffler. I now have 279,000 miles on my baby, it is the best car I have ever owned. Plan on buying another one if this one ever wares out!

Great everyday car
By Scott

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Great car to drive for everyday use. More than enough power and handles well at high speeds. Never had a problem after a year. Only had to change brakes and tires. Car handles great in the snow up in Buffalo, NY. All around awsome car I would highly recomend the purchase of a maxima I do not think it'll disappoint you at all.

Leather powered seats are very confotable and easy to move around

just wish it was a 5 spd