Used 1996 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 117 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

great first car and good for student
By maxima_lover

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

So I bought my max with 146k miles on it and it costed me under $4,000 on the road. Also it's my first car, it's the best and it's fun to drive. I drive around 70 miles each day to and from work and to college. Even though I make 15 mile trips each way with driving hard, MPG is about 22-24 and I drive hard.But You never feel underpowered on highways and you never get bored with it's audio. I think it's the best car for your money. It's reliable, quick, cheap, fun to drive. My dad has 98 camry v6 and compare to my 96 maxima , it's not as breathtaking to drive a camry as my maxima. It's VQ engine is the best- very smooth and quick-you can outrun more than 75% of the vehicles on the road.

awesome engine, great audio MAximas have something uniqe. MAximas may seem ugly but when you test drive it-you will understand why they are called "MAXIMA" They are fun to drive and never makes you disappointed on the road. Best car for your money espesially if u are a student

A GREAT Car!!
By Jess

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

With 120,000 miles, no problems still, and incredibly smooth ride....I love my Maxima! Whenever someone gets in it, they always compliment how smooth the ride is. It has a lot of power too!

everything

After time, the exhaust system rots sooner than other older cars would.

Deal of the Century
By Brian

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 82,000 miles on it. I have put over 100,000 miles on it since I purchased it. I have only had to put new brakes and tires on it. I change the oil every 10,000 miles. Thats right, 10,000 miles. It burns no oil, leaks no oil and runs smooth. It floats smooth at 80mph. The car runs flawless.

Awesome everyday car
By GP

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used in April of 2003, and have been very pleased with it. I bought it with 115,900 miles on it and sold it to my brother in August with 134,000. The fuel economy was amazing with the 5-speed - I never got less than 30 mpg on the highway, and even got 35 a few times. I have never had anything major go wrong with it, just the usual maintenence. As my first car, I don't think I could have found a better vehicle. These cars last forever, and nothing beats the always strong and potent VQ30DE!!

Extremely potent engine, transmission, interior quality and design, reliability, fuel economy.

I have no complaints about this vehicle!!!

What a CAR!!
By Brian

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I recently gave this car to my brotherin law with 236,122 miles and it runs like it was new. The power, comfort and reliability are unbelievable. Everything on the engine is original and the only maintenance is regular oil and filter, tires, brakes and at 110k I replaced the belts, struts and plugs. Don't know why nissan would change such a great engine. My new 02 doesn't even stand up to the 96 as far as reliability or comfort.

The whole car.

Unfortuniately the body is in need of work. Front fenders are rusting out along with behind the rear doors.