Used 1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 116 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

awesome car
By ronyn49

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at around 95k miles and it now has about 109k. The engine is smooth and quiet and like all nissan engines, is very torquey and produces power the second you need it. The handling is a bit too soft, but that's the price for a smooth ride. Interior quality and the BOSE stereo are very good, but the deck is not very shock resistant and the digital display is going out. Otherwise, a very good car at a very good price

Great torque, great ride, great interior, great stereo.

Stiffer suspension, better stereo deck, could use a 6th gear for better fuel efficiency and smoother high speeds

Best Car!
By claycope

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

With over 180K, the maxima still runs like new. Getting 450 miles to a tank. No major mechanical problems, just standard wear and tear items. Looking forward to 300K miles before getting another one.

Sports car in a sedan body and awesome Bose stereo.

Free navigation for all maxima's? hehe.

Great Service and Fun to Drive
By Alan

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1996 Maxima GXE used with about 18,000 miles on it. I now have approximately 188,500. Very few repairs. Those of you who are buying high octane are wasting your money. I have been using 87 or 88 octane for the 9+ years I have owned it, and it performs just fine. I have tried 91 octane and couldn't detect any difference. Using 88 octane several years ago, it went up to 127 mph on a long empty straight stretch of road in Wyoming, and still had more to give when I backed off the throttle.

Performance and low maintenance. Still looks great at 10 years old.

Rear end doesn't look great, but it doesn't bother me.

highly recommended to buy
By clark

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

A dependable, best v-6 with the least money can buy. I'm very happy with it.

n/a

n/a

great first car and good for student
By maxima_lover

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

So I bought my max with 146k miles on it and it costed me under $4,000 on the road. Also it's my first car, it's the best and it's fun to drive. I drive around 70 miles each day to and from work and to college. Even though I make 15 mile trips each way with driving hard, MPG is about 22-24 and I drive hard.But You never feel underpowered on highways and you never get bored with it's audio. I think it's the best car for your money. It's reliable, quick, cheap, fun to drive. My dad has 98 camry v6 and compare to my 96 maxima , it's not as breathtaking to drive a camry as my maxima. It's VQ engine is the best- very smooth and quick-you can outrun more than 75% of the vehicles on the road.

awesome engine, great audio MAximas have something uniqe. MAximas may seem ugly but when you test drive it-you will understand why they are called "MAXIMA" They are fun to drive and never makes you disappointed on the road. Best car for your money espesially if u are a student