Used 1995 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 111 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1995 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

One of the bad ones!!!
By kasey2586

1995 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

This car supposedly has tons of wonderful reputations. I got stuck with major expensive internal motor work needed. It does have a lot of power and has never left me stranded. These cars can blow the Hondas off the road with the power it has!! It has an engine miss, and the unusual thing about this problem is, it comes and goes! It's had a rough idle, stumbling and bucking. But these symptoms last occurred about 1 month ago and has been a smooth, beautiful ride ever since!! One mechanic told me since it was running on five cylinders, it's got bad valves. It also hisses and I know that's in need of an EGR valve. Yes, the check engine light and needs an anti-knock sensor! Not cheap!

My favorite features on my Max are Excellent Bose sound system/cd player, the extremely comfy leather interior, (perfect for my bad lower back!), handles, beautifully, reliability, smooth-as-silk engine and tranny, (when it's not bucking and stumbling!), exterior/interior design, and p-sunroof.

Eliminate the "check engine" light problem in these cars!! Add longer- lasting sensors with better quality, better cup holder location, and stuff spills into my transmission shifter!! Also, this car needs a much better place for the power mirror switch. Behind the steering wheel is ridiculous!!

The Nissan A32 ROCKS!!
By minhv2029

1995 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS CAR!! I have had this wonderful piece of work for nearly 3 years, and it has not let me down. The drive was very comfortable and smooth. Recently, I modified the suspension for improved handling, the ride of course is a little stiffer, but if one wants more stability and safety, comfort has to be sacrificed. Technically that is what the Maxima is: a sports sedan. Its meant to be driven like a sports car!! No one should have any disappointments with the car. Granted, some of the parts may need to be replaced, but thats expected for a 12 year old car. As long as one keeps up with the proper maintenance and takes good care of the maxima, it should last.

I engine is my absolute favorite feature. The VQ30DE is a smooth and strong engine. It lets me have a lot of fun every time i go for a drive =)

nothing. well if the maxima were rear wheel drive and it were a lighter (less weight), then that would make that wonderful car into the perfect car.

Performance and some quality
By Steve

1995 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Bought it w/29,000 miles in excellent condition. At 70,000 miles had to replace the trans. (throw/out bearings grs. 1&2), as w/ a previous maxima. gone though 3 alternators, and entire cooling system. Bose/Clarion radio died. Body, interior and engine held up well. pwr seat does not adjust anymore, little bits of trim cracked and broke - not through abuse or neglect.

Good body and driving! Still holds it's own on the road even with many miles and years. No major engine problems ever!

Minor quality issues. Great engine, weak trans. Braking performance could be better.

junk '95 Maxima
By kris36

1995 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

After only 2 months owning this car, I've never been so disappointed. With only 139,000 miles (not even broken in for a Maxima- or so I thought) and already internal motor work needed??!!!!! You've GOT to be kidding, Nissan!! It's running on 5 cylinders and a very uncomfortable ride. Has bad valves! Still does have power left, but at idle, it's rough. Stumbling and bucking upon slow acceleration and slow braking. I'm VERY leery about purchasing another. ANY year. I'm told the engines are smooth as silk from '95- 2001. With a used one, $3000. New/rebuilt-$5000. This problem is unacceptable! Now I'm starting to doubt the build quality of Nissans. Get with the program, Nissan!

Leather, comfort, was fun to drive before this problem! Love the Bose CD/sound system, tranny pure silk and still is reliable and hasn't lost much power.

Regular gas would be so much cheaper, trunk release too close to my thigh (driver side), better place for cup holders, needs easier to reach interior light switch.

My Reliable Baby!!!
By Delighted Owner

1995 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I've owned my baby for only a little over a month and the only thing I brought it to my mechanic for was to scan the engine for the check engine light problem. That's it. Turns out to be an anti-knock sensor and an EGR sensor. (Emissions sensor). He told me not to worry about it and since it runs like a TOP, not to even bother spending the $800 for these 2 sensors installed. Drives like I'm on a cloud! He said he could just pull the bulb out so the light is always out! I'd rather do that for the $35!!! Will not affect the performance or ride if he did this. This car is so quiet, sometimes I forget it's on! I'll never part with my baby! I strongly recommend this car to anyone!!

Reliability, Power, Comfort, Leather, Power-Moonroof and CD player. Also Bose Sound System is awesome!! Did I mention Reliability??!!!?

Make this car where the check engine lights (sensors) stay off! And less expensive! $550 for 1 sensor?!! Struts seem to wear out too fast. Not many complaints. You can't improve with Nissan perfection!! One more: Design car so you don't spend an arm and a leg with premium/super fuel!!