Used 1995 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 111 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1995 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

The Max
By R Keister

1995 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

At 150,000 miles, and practically NO mechanical problems, this car is AMAZING! The engine runs like it's new. Of course, my penchant for religious maintenance might have something to do with that. It's comfortable, quiet, powerful and all-in-all pleasant to drive. Fuel economy is really good considering the vintage and engine size (3.0L V6) - 21 in town and as high as 28 on trips.

Handling, seating comfort, sound system (see below)

A little late for this - but the CD player and cassette player both died at around 90,000 mi. The radio still works but the dial lights don't. Neither Bose nor Nissan can (will) repair the system for less than $1,500 US.

Best car I've owned
By Quagmire

1995 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car 8 years, bought it with 55k. It's now at 226k and still running strong. The car has been driven for years in Maine to Indiana, Oregon and now in Florida. Routine maintenance is always done myself, including replacing the starter once, brake pads of course and battery a few times. Never stranded once even when the started did go out it's a manual and so easy to push start. Lots of long drives and I'm 6'5" and never any back or leg problems. Only shop work done was new shocks and struts at 160k and a new clutch at about 120k, the old was still original. I'm pleasantly surprised at how well the new clutch has maintained because I don't drive the car easy.

Reliability! Good gas mileage for the power, easy to overtake slower cars on the interstates without downshifting.

Fold down rear seat, better corrosion resistance on rear spoiler and front of hood.

My 95 Maxima!
By AshFromHBG

1995 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car about 1 1/2 yrs ago and have had a few issues. I had to replace the alternator a little after buying it which was sort of expected. I replaced some "knock sensor" which was about $450.00 and I now need to replace an EGR solenoid. I know that will be costly as well. I bought the car for $6500.00 and have put much money into it. It is all paid off and now I am having these knock sensor, EGR issues. Also, I need struts. They say the suspension is bad on the car (probably front and back) I would not trade this car for anything else though. I love it. I will need to replace the speakers and the stereo as the Bose CD player died and the speakers are beginning to crack.

Bose sound system before they started cracking. (I know it's my fault for listening too loud.) Look of the front end of car (it looks like a beast).

Better sensors which last longer and harder material for body. Someone hit me going 25 miles an hour and knocked out my headlight, foglight and smashed in the drivers side fender.

1995 SE 5-speed
By D. Rossi

1995 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

When I originally purchased the Maxima, I wanted to get maximum fuel economy and reliability while maintaining a semi-luxury design and sporty feel; enter the Maxima five speed, fuel efficent, reliable, and filled with creature comforts (Bose stereo, digital climate control, heated leather, etc.). The vehicle is responsive and comfortable, handling is about average for its size and build quality is relatively good. You really do get quite a lot for not much money, but be warned: Nissan charges premium prices for its components, well over the prices you'd expect from a Japanese automobile. All in all I would still recommend the vehicle despite its faults as a great daily driver.

Reliability (the vehicle has been worked on so little the bolts in the belly pan rusted off due to their rare removal!). Interior comfort package (radio, climate control, etc.). Engine performance, especially with the manual transmission is superb. Fuel economy is top notch.

Transmission design is "notchy" and you really have to "row" between gears. Also with age first gear and reverse require double clutching. Leather quality leaves much to be desired. Pricing on parts is almost at luxury car level, well above Toyota and Honda part costs.

Keeps Going and Going and ...
By sbddmd1

1995 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

182,000 still runs good as new. I installed a k&n filter on it which improved horsepower and fuel economy.

Still stylish for 95, rides like a sports car plenty of hp, great bose system

The dash is all black with gray and black cloth seats. Today you find cars with silver or aluminum trim on the dash to make the interior even more stylish. I installed a after market dash kit and it looks great. So there, that would be my suggested improvement