2020 Nissan LEAF Hatchback Consumer Reviews

$31,600

Save as much as $5,536
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

The Little EV That Could

EV Guy in CA , 09/30/2020
SV PLUS 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Let's get the basics out of the way. The LEAF is not a Tesla. It does not drive like our former Model S. Its acceleration will not give the Roadrunner fits. But you may just feel like Wile E Coyote (Super... Genius...) after a few weeks behind the wheel of this EV run-about. It's simply a cheery and fun ride. Acceleration in our Leaf SV (the extended range model) is plenty quick - I would guess 6 to 7 seconds in the 0-to-60 sprint. Again, not Tesla quick, but plenty zippy for everyday driving and getting on the highway. The ride is quiet and composed. Since EV's have such low centers of gravity, there's plenty of stability and confidence when you hit the curves. Our SV is outfitted with Michelins, which always provide that great comfort/handling balance. At first glance, the 45K sticker on our leather-seated SV Plus seemed to put the LEAF out of the value league. But when you start to add up Nissan's cash back... the federal credit... the CA clean air rebate... our Leaf effectively went out the door for about 30K. Now we're talking EV bargain. I'm not in love with every component. The upgraded Bose audio system is the first disappointing Bose installation I've come across. It's kind of maddening that we're missing a power passengers seat. But our LEAF has superior build and fit compared to our Model S, let along the Model 3 we were also looking into at time of purchase. Everything is nicely trimmed and aligned; there isn't a squeak or whine to be heard. Our Model S was beginning to rattle more than a snake in a popcorn machine. I'm hoping / assuming our service experience will be superior to the impersonal and seriously lacking service environment that characterized our Tesla experience. I'll try to update the review after some additional months on the road.

Does what it promises

Stu!, 02/23/2021
SV PLUS 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Nothing fancy, but delivers as promised. Drives great and has all the safety and tech features needed. With the incentives can't beat the price, great way to dip your toes in the EV pool.

best car I ever have

Jim Yeh, 11/24/2020
S PLUS 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

my commute is 50 some miles round trip, without any possibilities (as of now) to charge at work. with the new Leaf S Plus I can easily cover that plus some unexpected short trips during the day. To recharge that back on 110 V takes one night in my garage, although I am installing a 240 V just in case I need to recharge fast. The e-pedal is great once you get used to it. The drive-train is a lot simpler than an ICE, I have yet to find out the operation cost. For now, the cost of electricity is next to negligible, especially when I program to charge during off-peak time. Oh, the acceleration is great, like in any BEVs. The electric motor can fire up much faster than an ICE. With the e-pedal, I guess the brake pads will last decades as I hardly ever use them. overall BEV is the future and I highly recommend this car.

Ad
Build Your LEAF®
At a Glance:
  • 9 Colors
  • 5 Trims

Great EV, just don't pay MSRP/Tesla prices

Tori, 06/02/2021
SL PLUS 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Nissan is currently (June 2021) giving thousands of dollars in incentives, plus state and federal credits that can bring a fully-loaded Leaf Plus down to ~$25,000 or less. At a $42k+ sticker price, it doesn't impress compared to a Model 3, but at $25k after incentives and tax credits, it's a fantastic value with 200+ mile range and lots of great features. Things I love: Cheapest car on the market with ProPilot's capabilities Cheapest 200+ mile EV Single-pedal driving feels great in stop and go Very spacious trunk (coming from a Prius Prime this is wonderful) Surprisingly powerful motor on the Plus trims (equivalent to the Bolt) Android auto Physical controls for climate control (as opposed to on the touch screen) Things I don't love that you'll have to evaluate to see if they're deal breakers: Center console sticks into the legroom more than I'd like, but seats are otherwise comfortable Visibility around the A-pillar is so-so No option to automatically stop charging at a certain percentage Touch screen can feel unresponsive at times

The future is here, with reliability!

Swright, 12/31/2020
SL PLUS 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I bought my first 2012 Leaf in 2015 from a local used car lot at a great price. After 5 years, I still love to drive it, but the battery technology has advanced so much, I was ready to upgrade. Shopped around, considered a Tesla, but couldn't beat the quality at the price I got with a 2020 SL Plus. With 3 times the range, and all the new tech, I expect to enjoy this vehicle for years to come. Once you drive an EV, you never want to go back. The driving experience is just more refined. After, ICE vehicles just feel like antiques.