Used 2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 34 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Leaf model:

Excellent Commute Car - But Not for Everyone
By A Used Leaf Owner

2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Great deals for a used Leaf these days. You'll need to consider your driving range. For this car, range is limited. I'm getting about 75-80 mile max range depending on the day, though I'm too chicken to ever push it to the max. If you have a second car for longer distance travel, this serves as a great commute car. I live in Southern California and charging has never been an issue. Assuming a 50-miles daily commute, you'll need to charge 50 miles on a daily basis since you won't deplete the charge fully. This can easily be done overnight at home even with a regular 110V outlet. The car has very little moving parts (no gas engine, no oil, no transmission, no fuel tank, no oil filter, no muffler, no belts). It's basically battery, electric motor, and wheels connected to motor, which makes maintenance very easy. And because of less moving parts, reliability for a used EV, in my opinion, would generally be better than an equivalent gas vehicle. All else equal, I would choose a Leaf over other used gas vehicle provided the range is within your tolerance.

We love this car!
By Kevin Courcey

2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Most dealers will tell you this is a great 2nd car for around town driving. But this has been our only car, and we've taken it on trips numerous times. You just need to plan your route more carefully than with a gas car. I suppose it helps that we are retired and under few time constraints. But we do love this car. The acceleration is fast... surprisingly so. The car is incredibly comfortable to drive, even on long distances. My wife loves the heated seats and steering wheel, I like the Bose sound system with XM and the ability to plug in a USB drive and play music off that. Maintenance is minimal, and it's a very safe car.
UPDATE 3-15-17 We've traded in the LEAF for a Volt. This occurred after coming home from the beach and finding that the chargers we usually use were out of service. We ended up running out of charge on Rt 26 outside Portland and had to call a tow truck. The problem isn't with the car. The LEAF is a great car. However, the charging infrastructure is not reliable at this point, and with the current administration so aggressively oil friendly, is likely to degrade further. The Volt allows us to use EV for all our around town driving, while not having to worry about going on day trips and not being able to charge. After owning the Volt for 6 months, we are averaging over 170 MPG.

Like riding on a silent magic carpet
By chuck allen

2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

The Leaf is a terrific nearly silent comfortable pleasure to drive. Over 45 years I've owned a lot of different models and brands and the Leaf is hands down the least expensive to operate. There is virtually no routine maintenance beyond tire rotations. No oil changes. No worry about changing spark plugs or exhaust parts. No engine noise. Driving carefully I could go half again as far as the rated 82 miles to over 125 miles before needing a charge. The downside side is trips beyond 80 miles requires careful planning. Charge points are expanding in availability.

Update after nearly two years of ownership: I still love the Leaf. The nearly silent ride allows me to relax and listen to music as if I'm at home even though I'm driving down the highway in traffic. Maintenance costs are minimal. There are no oil changes. There is no internal combustion engine, exhaust, radiator to check and service. There is no transmission to go wrong. There is simply the pleasure of a quiet ride.

Had 36,000 miles so battery only good for about 72
By Rich Schiller

Low mileage on battery

Poor electric car, don't buy any Nissan product.
By Gats

2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I was excited for my first electric car when I bought it last year. They say 110+ miles in sticker but don't expect more than 90 miles. If you drive highways/winter it would significantly low. The worst part for this car is the customer service and dealership. My from tire worn out in less than 10k, checked wheel alignment and its perfectly aligned but they won't even cover under any warranty, very poor quality stuff. I will certainly recommend buying electric car bit stay away from Nissan.