Used 2012 Nissan Leaf Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Nissan Leaf

View reviews for a specific Leaf model:

7,000 miles in, I would buy another
By skoorbmax

2012 Nissan Leaf SV 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Prior to this vehicle I had a 3rd gen Prius. I much prefer the drive of this. The power train is more responsive, and at low speeds the car is much quicker (though no quicker at higher speeds).

I am in NY state and have taken this through a winter now. Including winter my average miles/kWh are in the low 3's. 3.9 miles/kWh that EPA claims are quite optimistic. The heat destroys range, as does highway driving. Nonetheless, at 3.2 miles/kWh and at 75% charge efficiency (120V charging) and $.11 kWh I am still about 87 miles per $4.00 in electricity.

Drives nicely. Sways when under slalom-type conditions, but if otherwise grips very well for what it is under brisk cornering. Acceleration is strong up to 35-40. Is firm on the highway. Also enjoy the various features, heated seat, wheel, blue tooth, push-button start, sat radio. Car boots up amazingly fast; faster than any gas-based car, including the Prius, for impatient types who want to get into gear and going right away. I never let hybrid-haters affect me, but for what it's worth people find this car genuinely interesting.

Heated steering wheel goes in waves of hot to not hot. Very weird, and really annoying. The exterior backup beep is very quiet for occupants of car, but embarrassingly loud for those outside. I wish Nissan would not have this backup beeping. Hitting "ok" on the legal message every single time the car starts is annoying. Heat is acceptable even down to single digit temps, but definitely not hot. Not hot by any stretch. Air Conditioning is very powerful, though.

The problem is NISSAN, not the car!
By patsiefe

Things to know:
You will NOT get the EPA rated distances, especially at freeway speeds, or with the heater on!
I am sure this is also true for the Volt.

Besides this, the car did well until I got a flat.
Remember that the leaf has no spare, and Nissan has not figured out what to do about that.
They include a little electric pump and sealant.
DO NOT USE THEM!!!
It will cost you a fortune!

Worst, the car now fails to start, and the dealership has not been able to get an answer in OVER A WEEK AS TO WHY!
No car for me!
More disturbing is the fact that it is related to the BRAKING SYSTEM , and the computer does not understand that the brakes have been touched!

The fact that you put no gas in it.

Correct the lame blown tire system. The little pump cost $350.00 to replace through Nissan!!! It uses a bottle of inflator which cost $110.00 (no joke). The liquid MUST be used to use the pump (WTF??) The liquid WILL ruin the tires pressure sensors ($150.00) so the minimum cost if the tire is repairable of using the pump is about $300.00!! After finding this out the hard way (the pump did not work right as spewed the sealing liquid all over me and the car) and finding out the damage to the pressure sensor I bought instead a "slime" sealer with pump guaranteed NOT to ruin the sensor for $15.00. Lets see, $15.00 VS $300?! You do the math.

So far, so good!
By early_adopter

2012 Nissan Leaf SV 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I just purchased a used, 2011 SL Leaf.
Such a bargain; they've taken a huge hit in depreciation so I was able to get one with only 4,900 miles for around $18,500.

[non-permissible content removed]

Peppy, inexpensive, fun to drive!

Improving range, eventually. I know that will come.

This car needs a lot of work before ready for driving
By reginaa

2012 Nissan Leaf SL 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

bought a nissan leaf sl 2012 in Sept 2012.
Since the purchase I have not been
able to rely on the car for transportation to work, home, child's activities or
anywhere.
My child is afraid that I will be killed in a car accident cause I
can't drive the speed limit and return to where I need to go.
The car takes
more than 16-24 hours to charge 100% and Nissan told me I bought the special
edition quick charge that will charge in 20 min, but actually it takes 1 hr 15
min for 83% charge.
I contacted Nissan International (NI) and although they are
buying back many nissan leafs, they would not deem my as defective and would not
repurchase the car.

Nissan International (NI) 1-800-343-6913, ext 457250, case # 10758220. NI told me to contact the dealer Fred Haas Nissan for trade in. fred haas, Ray R., new car director, valued my car $18,000, and pay off $30,200. Fred haas will only roll the prce of the payments into the next car loan. I need a normal car that will get me to and from work. This car is severely defective and I need NI or Fred haas to buy back the leaf, I can not afford to be so upside down on this car. I have lost many hours waiting for the car to charge, cash and time. I feel the car is dangerous if driven on major highways because if I drive as fast as the speed limit I will use my 16-24 hour charge in less than half hour. NI and Fred haas told me the car could be used to commute 50 miles, but it actually has a commute range of 15 miles. That is a lot of difference. I have had the car in the shop and no reports of battery problems, this is just not quite the design Americans are ready for in EV autos. Please can you help me? Please, I have 3 bosses (3 different locations), 6 doctors, 1 lawyer, 9 RN's, 30 co-workers and many patients I provide care, friends and teachers, school officials, to that will confirm what I am telling you since car purchase in Sept about my change in work hours, moods, range anxiety, days late to work, missed appointments, missed days because car would not make it, car break down in highways and many, many more things since Sept. The public ought to know!!!

driving distance, mileage equivalence and qicker charges

Electric Wonder
By mikelaw1

2012 Nissan Leaf SL 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

The Leaf has great acceleration up to about 40 mph, because of the high torque of the electric drive, it is only two wheel drive but feels like four wheels drive, maybe because of large wide tires (55 series) and a low center of gravity, Batteries under floorboard have a lot of weight, so it really hugs the road. Keeps the car about forty mph in ECO mode, (slower mode, slower acceleration ) should get you 150+ mile range. It really begins to use up the juice over 50 mph and by 60 to 70
mph range is only about 75. Frost on inside if left outside is a problem requiring defrosting before starting out.
It is a really about town car. Most charging stations appear to charge $3 for a charge.

Charge times much less than advertised for me. Heated seats and steering wheel a real plus in winter to save range is heater really uses up electricity for 20112 and before models. Seats very comfortable. SL is worth extra price to get heated seats, steering wheel. High setting on seats is really hot, low was enough for me.

Already being done, for 2013, longer range, better heating.